Question for the Minnkota service experts

I have a 112 Ultrex 2018 model 45inch that needs a new lower and shaft due to water intrusion. I was wondering if its possible to instead of installing a 36 lower i could replace it with a 24v lower. I see that the boards are different in the pedal but i was not sure if it would actually work since i would be going down in voltage. I am looking to install it on a smaller boat and really only need 24. Thanks for the help.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

2. Member
    Correct different boards different motors. Can't mix and match.

3. Member
    I sure ain't an expert, but I think if you changed the board and motor you'd be good.

4. Member
    Fishn, You may want to think about keeping the setup you have and repair it and sell it, and buy another. At least price out the shaft/ motor assembly,board plus labor to make it what you want anyway. Then think about the warranty you will have with the new one. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Fishn, You may want to think about keeping the setup you have and repair it and sell it, and buy another. At least price out the shaft/ motor assembly,board plus labor to make it what you want anyway. Then think about the warranty you will have with the new one. JMO Bob

true I can do the work myself. I was just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

6. Member
    Just saying it may work out to your advantage to end up with a new one for similar cost in the end. Comes down to the value of resale in your area. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Is water intrusion the only issue? If so, that's a fairly easy fix. I did mine last summer, and it took maybe an hour. I found some videos on Youtube that show the process.

8. Member
    You can run a 36 volt trolling motor on 24 with out issues I ran an Ulterra 36 volt ( bought cheap ) on 24 for a year and not one glitch you loose a little power but other then that no reason not too.

Quote Originally Posted by KevInNC View Post
    Is water intrusion the only issue? If so, that's a fairly easy fix. I did mine last summer, and it took maybe an hour. I found some videos on Youtube that show the process.
    it was water intrusion which led to a broken magnet. Complete trash.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    You can run a 36 volt trolling motor on 24 with out issues I ran an Ulterra 36 volt ( bought cheap ) on 24 for a year and not one glitch you loose a little power but other then that no reason not too.
    So it worked? I was afraid the bord in the pedal which is model specific would keep it from running with just 24volts.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing122 View Post
    So it worked? I was afraid the bord in the pedal which is model specific would keep it from running with just 24volts.
    Do As you would like to do. Whenever a manufacture states that something is not recommended then there is a reason. When it comes to electronics the end result is usually something catastrophic.
    This will be the case here. It will happen, it is just a matter of when.