Thread: Prayer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    699

    Prayer

    Is prayer an attempt to get God to change his mind?

  2. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sylacauga, AL
    Posts
    2,284
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    Is prayer an attempt to get God to change his mind?
    God already knows everything before it happens. His character and Will never changes. However, prayer can change our circumstances. God is thrilled when we truly seek Him to change our circumstances through prayer. Jesus tells us in Luke 18:1, “always pray and not lose heart”. 1 John 5:14-15 also reminds us that, when we pray according to Gods Will, He hears and answers. The key phrase is “according to His Will”. (Houdman)

  3. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho
    Posts
    1,238
    #3
    Matthew 6:5-13 tells us how to pray and why. Key points:
    v5, don't do it in public to be seen for prideful reasons
    v6, pray in secret
    v7, don't use vain repetition (hail mary type prayers)
    v8, like chisco said, God already knows what you want before you pray
    v9-13, example of prayer
    2012 Ranger Z521 2012 Yamaha Vmax 250 sho

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    699
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    God already knows everything before it happens. His character and Will never changes. However, prayer can change our circumstances. God is thrilled when we truly seek Him to change our circumstances through prayer. Jesus tells us in Luke 18:1, “always pray and not lose heart”. 1 John 5:14-15 also reminds us that, when we pray according to Gods Will, He hears and answers. The key phrase is “according to His Will”. (Houdman)
    So is there any reason to wear your seat belt, or take your blood pressure meds if your future is set?

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,016
    #5
    I believe that nothing catches God by surprise so he knows the choices we will make even the stupid ones.

    Because we have free will we can skip our meds or not wear a seat belt but must " reap what we sow" with these decisions.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sylacauga, AL
    Posts
    2,284
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I believe that nothing catches God by surprise so he knows the choices we will make even the stupid ones.

    Because we have free will we can skip our meds or not wear a seat belt but must " reap what we sow" with these decisions.
    I couldn’t have said it better!

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Hilton, NY 14468
    Posts
    2,660
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I believe that nothing catches God by surprise so He knows the choices we will make even the stupid ones.

    Because we have free will we can skip our meds or not wear a seat belt but must " reap what we sow" with these decisions.
    Excellently said.

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho
    Posts
    1,238
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I believe that nothing catches God by surprise so he knows the choices we will make even the stupid ones.

    Because we have free will we can skip our meds or not wear a seat belt but must " reap what we sow" with these decisions.
    Preach! :)
    2012 Ranger Z521 2012 Yamaha Vmax 250 sho

  9. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    699
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I believe that nothing catches God by surprise so he knows the choices we will make even the stupid ones.

    Because we have free will we can skip our meds or not wear a seat belt but must " reap what we sow" with these decisions.
    So when the woman is rescued after 20 yrs of being chained in the basement, raped, and sexually abused, was this Gods plan for her, or was she reaping what she sowed?

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,016
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    So when the woman is rescued after 20 yrs of being chained in the basement, raped, and sexually abused, was this Gods plan for her, or was she reaping what she sowed?
    Being chained and molested for 20 years is not a choice made by her.

    We may never understand this side of Heaven why God allows some of us to suffer but I do know that the disciples ( other than Judas who did make a very bad decision) were martyred with the exception of John who was boiled in oil.

    I do believe the reward in Heaven will be exceedingly great for those who remain faithful to the end.

    My question for you is why are the majority of your posts designed around questioning the Sovereignty of God? Where were you when He spoke the world into existence?
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho
    Posts
    1,238
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    So when the woman is rescued after 20 yrs of being chained in the basement, raped, and sexually abused, was this Gods plan for her, or was she reaping what she sowed?
    Satan is the god of this world, thus all the evil(2 corinthians 4:4). The bible calls for wicked men like him to be killed. Just the fact this bothers us, shows there are morals set by God. It surprises me how many bring up examples like this yet don't support the death penalty for guys like him.
    2012 Ranger Z521 2012 Yamaha Vmax 250 sho

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    676
    #12
    To me prayer is an acknowledgement that we depend on God, that He is sovereign, and that we recognize Him as such. I think He can change His "mind" based upon a few things I read in the Bible, but He knew He would, so how does that work?!?!!? Our futile minds just cannot comprehend His power and abilities.

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    699
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Being chained and molested for 20 years is not a choice made by her.

    We may never understand this side of Heaven why God allows some of us to suffer but I do know that the disciples ( other than Judas who did make a very bad decision) were martyred with the exception of John who was boiled in oil.

    I do believe the reward in Heaven will be exceedingly great for those who remain faithful to the end.

    My question for you is why are the majority of your posts designed around questioning the Sovereignty of God? Where were you when He spoke the world into existence?
    If it wasn't her free will, then was it Gods plan?
    My questions are for the answers from people that know the bible.
    I was not around when he spoke the world into existence.

  14. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,016
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    If it wasn't her free will, then was it Gods plan?
    My questions are for the answers from people that know the bible.
    I was not around when he spoke the world into existence.
    Well it is obvious He did not need your assistance or approval.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    699
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Being chained and molested for 20 years is not a choice made by her.

    We may never understand this side of Heaven why God allows some of us to suffer but I do know that the disciples ( other than Judas who did make a very bad decision) were martyred with the exception of John who was boiled in oil.

    I do believe the reward in Heaven will be exceedingly great for those who remain faithful to the end.

    My question for you is why are the majority of your posts designed around questioning the Sovereignty of God? Where were you when He spoke the world into existence?
    If it was not her free will, was it Gods Plan?

  16. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,016
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    If it was not her free will, was it Gods Plan?
    You still owe me an answer but continue pressing for answers from others.

    The outstanding question was and is why are most of your posts designed around questioning the Sovereignty of God? Surely you are not at a loss for words to answer this simple direct question.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 01-18-2022 at 05:56 PM.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

  17. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sylacauga, AL
    Posts
    2,284
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    If it was not her free will, was it Gods Plan?
    God knows everything and allows things to happen beyond our understanding. Take a look at the Book of Job. He was a righteous man that God allowed Satan to do anything he wanted to do to Job…except kill him. Job never understood why these things happened to him but in all his sickness and torment, he praised God….. “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him” (Job 13:15). “The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised” (Job 1:21).

    As 1Holeshot said above, we will never know a lot of things this side of Heaven.
    Last edited by Chisco; 01-18-2022 at 07:46 PM.

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    5,016
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    God knows everything and allows things to happen beyond our understanding. Take a look at the Book of Job. He was a righteous man that God allowed Satan to do anything he wanted to Job…except kill him. Job never understood why these things happened to him but in all his sickness and torment, he praised God….. “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him” (Job 13:15). “The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised” (Job 1:21).

    As 1Holeshot said above, we will never know a lot of things this side of Heaven.
    Would that we all would exercise the faith of Job.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Nampa, Idaho
    Posts
    1,238
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    If it was not her free will, was it Gods Plan?
    These are questions, that we as christians should be able to answer for the lost. Definitely not easy but please realize your two options are not the only options available. First, her free will has nothing to do with the choices of others. She obviously did not choose this. The wicked guy did and he will stand before God and be accountable. John 9:31 says, "Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does His will, He hears him."
    2012 Ranger Z521 2012 Yamaha Vmax 250 sho

  20. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Palestine TX
    Posts
    4,700
    #20
    Can a painter make strokes on his canvas, without being questioned? Or does he need permission from the canvas or the paint?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast