Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Anchor Rein info

This message goes out to anyone that has an anchor rein setup on their rigs. I have called Attwood marine about these and they no longer manufacture them nor do they have parts for them. So I had to figure out a way to get mine working. I have rebuilt mine and had to do some research. If anyone needs help respooling fixing the springs or repairing them pm me and I will do my best to talk you thru it. I finally found a way to make the rubber grab piece also called the brake in the schematic so mine would operate properly. I hope this will help anyone. I love these things and wish they still made them. Stay safe with this crappy weather going on.

2. Member
    Good information.

They were still made as of 2018. I had Ranger install one on my new Z520c.

For unloading the boat alone, they are great. I have been installing or had them installed on all my boats since 1985.

3. Member
    Just got one off E Bay, paid too much, but it was great on my old boat.

4. Member
    Thanks for the post. I bought a couple back in '89, had to put new rope on the bow unit this past season. Wish I could find a replacement end (snapped one off in a hasty launch... got lucky and the wind blew the boat back in lol.)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Thanks for the post. I bought a couple back in '89, had to put new rope on the bow unit this past season. Wish I could find a replacement end (snapped one off in a hasty launch... got lucky and the wind blew the boat back in lol.)
    Are you talking about the cleat/wingnut that screws onto the shaft?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Good information.

They were still made as of 2018. I had Ranger install one on my new Z520c.

For unloading the boat alone, they are great. I have been installing or had them installed on all my boats since 1985.
    Yeah I’ve called attwood marine a couple times hoping they’d find parts in a desk drawer or say they decided to make the anchor rein 3 lol. But no luck yet. I’ve owned an 86 373V years back that had three on it. Had to redo all but they had the parts back then. Made it easy. But now I had to order one from eBay and figure the pieces out. Only issue I really have is the rubber around the rope (the brake) is too hard to get the rope out and hard as a rock. So I finally found a good replacement rubber. I’ll have to see how long it will last but looks like it will work for now.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Are you talking about the cleat/wingnut that screws onto the shaft?
    Nope, the black button/ring at the business end. I popped that ring off, and don't trust baling wire (sacrilege, right?)

8. Member
    Is this process something that can be described and posted so we all can try and rebuild ours?
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteprinter View Post
    Is this process something that can be described and posted so we all can try and rebuild ours?
    Well I can try. Each scenario is a little different depending on what part is messed up.

10. Member
    Ok everyone so I was wondering. If I make a YouTube video and attach the link do you think people will watch it? It would be easier to do that that explain in writing.

11. Member
    I think with the number of older boats out there that have these anchor reins on them, there would be a bunch of interest. I know I'd definitely watch it.
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

Mine came with 2 and never really cared for them. I actually took them off and just used the cleat part with a SS carriage bolt through the center of the cleat up on the bow.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    Mine came with 2 and never really cared for them. I actually took them off and just used the cleat part with a SS carriage bolt through the center of the cleat up on the bow.
    Please let me know if you still have them.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteprinter View Post
    I think with the number of older boats out there that have these anchor reins on them, there would be a bunch of interest. I know I'd definitely watch it.
    Ok I’ll get to work on it. Might take a day or two but I’ll get it dun. Thanks for the input

15. Member
    bassnut1 you just purchased one of my most prized possessions...

Quote Originally Posted by Cmt31478 View Post
    Please let me know if you still have them.
    Replied to your PM

17. Member
    bassboat1, PM sent

JRO, have been looking for a Anchor Rein for months, then saw on ebay. I'm glad i was the only bid. HaHa

18. Member
    See that’s what I mean why did they stop making them and selling parts for them. The majority of everything I’ve read up on these people loved them. They make anchoring and tie up a breeze. First video I’ve made about these so it may take me a few days. Thanks yall

19. Member
    Cool. Looking forward to your Vid. I have 3 to restore on my 95 488VS

20. Member
    Cmt3178 did you make the video? I want to replace the rope in mine but could use some guidance. I don't want to mess up the loaded spring. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast