Question New Prop issues - Help - Suggestions please

Hey guys, I've been searching Google and not finding the answers I'm looking for. I've got a 2004 Tracker PT175 with a 2004 Mercury 60hp 4- stroke. I bought the boat in August and it had a 14p aluminum prop that was pretty banged up. The boat would run anywhere from 33-37mph depending on whether the live well was full or not. I have 3 batteries in the back, 1 cranking and 2 for my TM, and one in the very front that I run electronics from. WOT RPMs were between 5500-6000.

I ordered a SOLAS 1311-110-15 Amita 3 blade prop that's 11" diameter x 15" pitch last week and installed on Friday. I went fishing today with a friend so his extra weight would have to added, but I don't think it should make this much difference. It took about twice as long to get on plane, WOT RPMs were around 4000-4500 and could barely get to 30mph after finding a good trim.

Another issue, with the previous prop, at WOT, I could trim the motor out much farther before "losing traction". With this new prop, I can barely reach 4-5 light taps on the trim from all the way down before it stalls.

I have not measured my prop to pad yet, and I do not have a jack plate. I'm thinking that my motor is mounted too high as the top bolts are in the 3rd mounting hole down on the motor.

Hope all this makes sense. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

The issue is the prop. Plain and simple. Solas props do not have the same consistent QA/ QC as genuine Mercury props. That being said, no two props are created equal. There are minor deviances from prop to prop which can affect the way it moves water. Solas and Turning point being more bottom of the barrel, it's not surprising that you are having issues and serves further as to why I lead people further astray from them.

Your holeshot time is an easy fix. Depending on your buddies weight you will not be able to get out of the hole faster due to the increase in pitch. You need to tailor your prop to the way the boat is normally run on a regular basis. If that is an ever-changing thing, then it is ideal to keep two props on hand. One for speed, and one for holeshot/ weight.

One more thing. If I'm understanding this right, you are mounted on the third hole. That motor needs to come up to the second hole AT MAX. If your motor is mounted too high, you will experience severe blowout issues like you are mentioning.

It sounds like you have multiple issues at play here which are emanating now that you have a prop with a clean surface on it.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    22P 3 blade Tempest Plus propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    The issue is the prop. Plain and simple. Solas props do not have the same consistent QA/ QC as genuine Mercury props. That being said, no two props are created equal. There are minor deviances from prop to prop which can affect the way it moves water. Solas and Turning point being more bottom of the barrel, it's not surprising that you are having issues and serves further as to why I lead people further astray from them.

Your holeshot time is an easy fix. Depending on your buddies weight you will not be able to get out of the hole faster due to the increase in pitch. You need to tailor your prop to the way the boat is normally run on a regular basis. If that is an ever-changing thing, then it is ideal to keep two props on hand. One for speed, and one for holeshot/ weight.

One more thing. If I'm understanding this right, you are mounted on the third hole. That motor needs to come up to the second hole AT MAX. If your motor is mounted too high, you will experience severe blowout issues like you are mentioning.

It sounds like you have multiple issues at play here which are emanating now that you have a prop with a clean surface on it.
    Thank you for the advice. I realize that the prop is bottom of the barrel. It was an economic decision. I wanted a new prop, and couldn't afford a better one. That said, a SS prop in my future. My next change will be lowering the motor and trying that out. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by gryank View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I realize that the prop is bottom of the barrel. It was an economic decision. I wanted a new prop, and couldn't afford a better one. That said, a SS prop in my future. My next change will be lowering the motor and trying that out. Thank you so much.
    No worries. I hope it works out for you!
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    22P 3 blade Tempest Plus propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

Absolutely love my Solas. It’s performed flawless for me on my PT190, it has completely surprised me how well it has performed. If it’s “bottom of the barrel” I’ll gladly take it any day of the week. Just because its cheaper doesn’t always mean its bad.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybee193 View Post
    Absolutely love my Solas. It’s performed flawless for me on my PT190, it has completely surprised me how well it has performed. If it’s “bottom of the barrel” I’ll gladly take it any day of the week. Just because its cheaper doesn’t always mean its bad.
    I hope I have flawless performance once I drop my motor down. You are exactly right. Sometimes, cheap doesn't = crap. Thanks
    2004 Bass Tracker PT175 60HP Mercury
    24V 70lb Minn Kota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI/DI, console
    Humminbird Helix 7 DI, bow

7. Member
    11x15p is too much prop for that combo, will take a long time to get out of the hole. I experimented with a Solas Amita-4 14p and it would loose grip easily (thinking not enough cup) compared to the slightly beat up 14p black max that was on the boat when I got it.

I currently run a Mercury Trophy Sport 13p, but if I hadnt gotten a good deal on it I would probably run a Mercury Spitfire 14p.
    Last edited by R2Tracker; 01-26-2022 at 09:49 AM.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

8. Member
    I would try a 14" pitch aluminum spitfire, that's what many people run with that boat and motor combo. Your not going to get much more than 35-36 MPH out of it loaded no matter what prop you use.

9. Member
    I run a ss trophy sport 14p, best 38-39. Now only 36 after adding 2 8' poles on 4" atlas jp.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC