Solix setup questions

I am planning to purchase two new Solix 10s in the coming weeks. My boat still has the original Lowrance LMS 332s from 2007.

I have a 112 Ultrex I Pilot Link with the built in US2 transducer.

1. What is the model number of transducer that the Solix 10s come with?

2. I planned to mount the transducer on my trolling motor. Is there a special trolling motor mount transducer available? And if so, should I order a CHO unit?

3. Would I still use the US2 transducer or just the Mega + that comes with the Solix?

4. In linking the bow and console graphs do I just need an ethernet cable? I believe they are 20 ft or so and do need to be purchased separately, correct?

I do plan to use I Pilot Link, but I think that is pretty simple to hook up.

For the bow I plan to order the external GPS and heading sensor to mount in the rear.

5. I currently have a 2D in hull transducer that works with the Lowrance bow unit. Can I use that same transducer to get good on plane 2D readings? Or should I swap it out seeing that it is 15+ years old?

I will hook my Etec up to the graph as well, but that is pretty self explanatory on the Nmea network.

Thanks in advance. I have been reading this Humminbird forum daily for about a year to get ready for the upgrade.

Use the ducer that comes with it and get a mount from www.transducershieldandsaver.com. I have this mount and I love SI on the tm. Don’t even bother with US2.

Yea, you need an Ethernet cord to connect the units. If you have ipilot link, you’ll need the five port hub to connect everything.

With ipilot link, you don’t need a separate gps puck at the bow. The heading sensor for the ipilot can be selected as your heading and/or GPS source. If you want a little more accuracy in waypoint creation from the console, you can put an AS-GPSHS on the rear deck.

You will need a HB h/w shoot thru puck for the bilge. You can get the part numbers for all of the items by looking at the network diagrams under support on HB’s website.

You’ll need a tee and a drop cable to connect your solix to the etec N2K network. Those are cheap on Amazon.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Member
    Thank you for all of those details.

Yes, I was going for slightly more accurate GPS waypoints from the console and thus the rear puck.

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Sounds like you have done your research and thought things out pretty well. I agree with the above but have a couple of things to add.

You will also need a dongle to attach the AS GPS HS heading sensor to the Solix. It is a NMEA 0183 adapter. Once connected to one Solix, it will be available to all control heads on the network.

You will need power to the 5 port Ethernet hub and ethernet cables long enough to run to each of the control heads.

You should be fine on your NMEA Backbone. I actually have a Lowrance NMEA 2000 backbone for my all Humminbird setup.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    Thanks again for all the feedback.

I am now debating on adding a second SI transducer. No experience with SI transducers, but it makes sense why I would want a left and right side transducer. I plan to install them on the jackplate.

Can I run 2 Y cables? I figure that this is my only option if I want to run the 2D high speed transducer.

Quote Originally Posted by nicapopolis View Post
    Thanks again for all the feedback.

I am now debating on adding a second SI transducer. No experience with SI transducers, but it makes sense why I would want a left and right side transducer. I plan to install them on the jackplate.

Can I run 2 Y cables? I figure that this is my only option if I want to run the 2D high speed transducer.
    If you’re running a Bassboat you shouldn’t need a left and right ducer. I don’t know anyone with a Bassboat that has 2 si ducers on the transom.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    If you’re running a Bassboat you shouldn’t need a left and right ducer. I don’t know anyone with a Bassboat that has 2 si ducers on the transom.
    Well shoot. That is great to hear. Why no interference with a bass boat vs other boats? I had read that some folks were getting interference from the outboard motor.

8. Member
    Nica, It's all in the installation. Both sides of the SI transducer need to have a clear view from it's installation.
    This obstruction can also be caused by water turbulence or by a slight obstruction from the motor when it is trimmed
    to a certain spot. Consider everything when it's installed. Then don't forget to do the leveling process.
    Good Luck!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Nica, It's all in the installation. Both sides of the SI transducer need to have a clear view from it's installation.
    This obstruction can also be caused by water turbulence or by a slight obstruction from the motor when it is trimmed
    to a certain spot. Consider everything when it's installed. Then don't forget to do the leveling process.
    Good Luck!
    Sounds good. I have a 10 inch Slidemaster JP. I am thinking that maybe I just may need to trim the motor up a bit to avoid interference.

My boat is a Champion 21SX, which is the same hull as a 206, so I guess I can check the Champ forum to see if someone has a similar JP mount and it is working well.

10. Member
    I will add this also, ensure you have a good 12V power source for the Solix's.
    A 10ga. wire is a must and a good solid battery, AGM 31 series is what i have.
    They are power hungry!
    Good Luck!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    I will add this also, ensure you have a good 12V power source for the Solix's.
    A 10ga. wire is a must and a good solid battery, AGM 31 series is what i have.
    They are power hungry!
    Good Luck!
    I do have a good strong Optima Blue top for my cranking and accessory battery.

I have debated on the switch to lithium and a dedicated accessory battery, but that will come later.

12. Member
    Well, the damage is done. Two Solix 10s ordered today from Russell Marine Products and all the needed backbone items.

No clue when I will start the install, it is snowing here now, but I am excited to get it moving.

13. Member
    Congradts!

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicapopolis View Post
    Well, the damage is done. Two Solix 10s ordered today from Russell Marine Products and all the needed backbone items.

No clue when I will start the install, it is snowing here now, but I am excited to get it moving.
    Congratulations on the Solix purchase. I'm a long time Solix user and love them!

One word of caution though... RMP can take forever to ship Humminbird products if they don't already have them in stock. Just ask all the people who pre-ordered Mega Live through them and then everybody but RMP was getting them.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Congratulations on the Solix purchase. I'm a long time Solix user and love them!

One word of caution though... RMP can take forever to ship Humminbird products if they don't already have them in stock. Just ask all the people who pre-ordered Mega Live through them and then everybody but RMP was getting them.
    Totally get it. Only ordered in stock items from them this time.

I could have ordered through BPS and compounded some cash back deals, but felt better ordering from RMP.