Boost HP of DF70?

Like they do with Yammies... is there a way to squeeze more HP out of the Suzuki DF70? It looks like they are on the same "block" as the DF90. Can using say DF90...Heads or other parts...work? I have read about changing things on Yamaha engines in the 50-115hp range where you can add HP using parts from higher Hp engines. I love my father and I's boat and I will never sell it for sentimental reasons due to my father passing but it needs just a little more to be the perfect boat. Thought I would throw the flashlight down the rabbit hole and start asking/researching.
    Last edited by BassVoodoo; 01-16-2022 at 03:00 PM.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

2. Member
    Nothing? No one?
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

3. Member
    Is it that I am posting a DUMB question or is it there is NO ONE that has the suzuki knowledge?

4. Member
    Simon Motorsports use to do some Suzuki ECU flashes, but their website appears to focus on Mercury now. In all honestly, nobody on here really has looked into tuning their outboard and you might be better asking on the hull truth. I would recommend the Suzuki FB page, but they will yell at you for even asking the question.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    Like they do with Yammies... is there a way to squeeze more HP out of the Suzuki DF70? It looks like they are on the same "block" as the DF90. Can using say DF90...Heads or other parts...work? I have read about changing things on Yamaha engines in the 50-115hp range where you can add HP using parts from higher Hp engines. I love my father and I's boat and I will never sell it for sentimental reasons due to my father passing but it needs just a little more to be the perfect boat. Thought I would throw the flashlight down the rabbit hole and start asking/researching.
    I don't have a clue. Have you considered going to a parts ordering I P B and seeing what pieces don't interchange between the two motors?

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/suzuki/df70.asp

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/suzuki/df90.asp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I don't have a clue. Have you considered going to a parts ordering I P B and seeing what pieces don't interchange between the two motors?

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/suzuki/df70.asp

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/suzuki/df90.asp
    I actually found a comparison PDF on that series of motors and they are compatible obviously with parts swaps. Just hoping for someone that KNOWS and or has DONE it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    Simon Motorsports use to do some Suzuki ECU flashes, but their website appears to focus on Mercury now. In all honestly, nobody on here really has looked into tuning their outboard and you might be better asking on the hull truth. I would recommend the Suzuki FB page, but they will yell at you for even asking the question.
    WHY?.....would they yell for asking a question?

8. Member
    Some years ago we found a easy method to upgrade hp on a Suzuki DF40A to nearer 60hp. This was reported over on the Suzuki Outboard Parts forum. Similar to the 70/90 A series, the 40/50/60A models share the same block and cc capacity.

It was as simple as replacing the “silencer holder” from the 40 with the same part from the 60. Essentially this part is a restrictor in the air intake, the 40hp version had 3 small holes to allow air through, where the 60 was one large hole that let far more air through. The part cost less than $20 and took 15 minutes to remove and replace.

The performance gain was notable, on the 40A I had at the time I think we picked up 600rpm, improved acceleration and quite a bit of top end.

I dont think we got the full 60hp, because the 60 has a different ecu and injectors, but the gain was certainly very noticeable and most welcome!

I would suggest you find the parts diagrams for the 70 and 90 models and look for the same parts. I have no idea even if they use the same part in the intake, but it would be worth a look.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Some years ago we found a easy method to upgrade hp on a Suzuki DF40A to nearer 60hp. .................................................. ...........
    ...................I would suggest you find the parts diagrams for the 70 and 90 models and look for the same parts. I have no idea even if they use the same part in the intake, but it would be worth a look.
    I think I just said that, but it's a good idea, and then maybe he can tell someone else how to do it. I doubt many people have.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    WHY?.....would they yell for asking a question?
    There are a lot of "purist" over there and take everything that's in the Suzuki's owner's manual as gospel and you are not allowed to derive from that or use anything else than Suzuki products. If one does, they will yell at you saying you're stupid and voiding your warrnaty and etc. Plus people over there ask about running synthetic marine oil, you'll get people telling you that it's too slick and only use ECSTAR. The same with running AGM or Lithium batteries because the manual recommends lead cell batteries and doesn't recommend maintenance free batteries which AGM fall under. But as you know, there is not a non-AGM starting battery that can run graphs, pumps, and electronics all day. Anymore, I just stay away from there since it can get toxic. At least it's not as bad as the Mercury guys on here.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.