Help with HDS 12 Lives

Recently got a new to me boat that was rigged with two HDS 12 Lives and I am very new to lowrance. They are networked through a structure scan 3d box. One problem I am having is with the downscan on my console unit. It does not always work, and when it does the clarity is nowhere near what the sidescan looks like. Can someone please point me in the right direction of where to start? I've gone through most settings that to my knowledge would help, but at this point I just don't know these graphs that well. Thank you
    2019 Z519

2. Member
    There really aren’t many settings that can help you. Contrast and pallet are about it. Make sure when you are on the Downscan page, the source is This Unit. Other than that, if the Sidescan looks good and the Downscan looks bad you can’t really blame the mounting and need to consider that the Downscan elements inside the transducer are shot.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

can you post some pictures of the images by chance? we have seen a few 3d transducers go bad over the years. I'd reccomend eliminating the 3d module and transducer and direct networking the units together (one ethernet cable between the 2) and replace the 3d transducer with a 2n1 active imaging or a 3n1 active imaging transducer.

4. Member
    Huh, first recommendation I have seen to ditch the 3D for an AI. Tough sell for me. IMO 3D is still the top of the heap.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    can you post some pictures of the images by chance? we have seen a few 3d transducers go bad over the years. I'd reccomend eliminating the 3d module and transducer and direct networking the units together (one ethernet cable between the 2) and replace the 3d transducer with a 2n1 active imaging or a 3n1 active imaging transducer.
    This is the only pic I can find, might be hard to see the but the downscan imaging just looks dull and lacks quality. I've gone through settings and I just can't get a clear image, if I can get an image at all. Some times I just don't get any reading on the downscan at all. Will update with more pics next time I get out on the water. Screenshot_20220116-192624.jpg
    2019 Z519

6. Member
    What software update do you have in the 3DSS Box? These 3DSS are superior to any other side image for detail and range. 2 things that effect their performance. Angle of the transducer mounted and software update. A pic of how your transducer is mounted would be helpful and go to Pages/Setting/System/about then hit system check and look for what the 3D box has for update. Make sure it powered on when you check. Cannot tell by the pic but do you have fish reveal turned on for downscan?

7. Member
    Like RMP I have seen a couple of SS 3D where the transducer has been bad, but the only way to be sure is to test with another transducer.

8. Member
    When my HDS live was new, with a 3 in 1 transducer, my DI looked like that. Even if I turned the contrast all the way up, it didn't help. Lowrance sent me a new transducer and problem fixed. Like others have said, probably a bad transducer.

9. Member
    What software level are you running? Some where around release 20.1.?.? Lowrance did a major DI fix.
    Otherwise you DI crystal might be weak. I replaced 2 3D transducers.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    What software update do you have in the 3DSS Box? These 3DSS are superior to any other side image for detail and range. 2 things that effect their performance. Angle of the transducer mounted and software update. A pic of how your transducer is mounted would be helpful and go to Pages/Setting/System/about then hit system check and look for what the 3D box has for update. Make sure it powered on when you check. Cannot tell by the pic but do you have fish reveal turned on for downscan?
    Here is what my transducer looks like. I tried to update my units today but didn't have a micro SD card to download the update on. But I will update the software and check back in from there if the problem persists IMG_20220130_123848.jpg
    2019 Z519

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erickennedy1 View Post
    Here is what my transducer looks like. I tried to update my units today but didn't have a micro SD card to download the update on. But I will update the software and check back in from there if the problem persists IMG_20220130_123848.jpg
    Since your transducer is mounted to the bottom of the step I cannot tell if its straight or at any angle sideways. So the mounted is what it is. When you go out take a screen shot of the Downscan by itself with the menu open. If nothing there then its the transducer. The only thing left. You did not say if you have Fish Reveal on or off?

12. Member
    I'll take a better screenshot next weekend. Fish reveal is off, here is a pic from yesterday. I do need to software update both graphs and SS3D unit, but don't see how an update can affect the performance of the DI this much. IMG_20220129_122906.jpg
    2019 Z519

13. Member
    Another pic from yesterday, tried changing settings around and wasn't any better, fish reveal was on in this pic. IMG_20220129_092808.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 Z519

14. Member
    Updated both graphs and made sure my SS3D is up to date. downscan is still not any better. I guess I'll be contacting lowrance on this
    2019 Z519

15. Member
    As bad as that is, I'd have to think it's either the transducer or wire in the cable which just as well be the transducer at that point since it's built together. One side of my side imaging would go blank or near blank like that but if I moved the cable around it would come back to life. As for the 3D being the best, it's definitely subjective. I loved my 3D for side but never did like the down imaging returns. Used two different transducers, boxes, and multiple updates and never was happy with the down picture. To be fair, I also ran both 3D and 3n1 side by side, one on each side of my jack plate and one running to each Carbon 12 at my dash. I ultimately chose to keep the 3n1 over the 3D. Range is definitely better on 3D but the compression on the 3D makes the detail not seem as sharp in my opinion. Hopefully you figure it out soon and it's as simple as an update, but unfortunately I feel it's hardware related.

16. Member
    Lowrance support says it's most likely the transducer. Unfortunately mine is out of warranty and it will cost $220 to have mine serviced. Looks like that is still cheaper than just buying one to replace.
    2019 Z519