Wal Mart branded Lithium update

Ran into the Wal Mart manager on the ice again.
    Updated me on the lithium development.

He stated that most of the Wal Mart Everstart marine battery warranty returns are
    from incorrect charging and batteries that are 8 to 18 months old before they are even sold.

Many stores do a poor job of cycling the old batteries with the fresh units. Stores don't or won't keep them charged.
    Wal Mart makes very little profit on the marine batterie line because of this.

He has been told profit is the driving force for Wally World to update to lithium.
    Much better shelf life AND the popularity of solar powered homes and Rv's.

Wal Mart will have the charger built into the battery in a accessible compartment to allow
    charger replacement. It will have the ability to link batteries together for charging with only
    1 power cord needed for multiple battery setups.

Wal Mart does not want batterie failures linked to improper chargers to be a problem or fire hazard!
    It seems like the move to lithium for Wal Mart is more for the Solar & Wind power storage applications and us boaters will reap the benefits!

Target price is still $300 for a 12v 100ah with built in charger.
    No word on cranking batteries but there will be 24 and 36v batteries also.

Fall of 2022 roll out at the earliest. Supply issues involved to source 2 million+ units.
    Interesting to say the least...
    2000 Javelin 18 Venom
    2002 Javelin MSX 21 Walleye boat

2. Member
    Interesting. No thanks. Don’t trust Walmart specials that can set my boat on fire.

Any battery can cause a fire. Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo) batteries are just as safe as lead acid. The fire hazard lithium batteries are a different chemical compound.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Dare I say it,

Could be a game changer
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

I find it difficult to believe Walmart is developing anything, especially a lithium battery with a built in charger. Thanks, but no thanks.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

6. Member
    A welcomed price game changer indeed if accurate.

7. Member
    I am guessing Johnson Controls will be the maker for the lithium battery. I just looked for a lead marine battery at my local Walmart and none to be found. I agree it could be a game changer. Questions will be the warranty. I would assume a 3-4 year warranty. Until it has been field tested and on the market for a few years, then it might be something to consider. Many factors such as warranty replacement, reliability, State of discharge, and cycle count for warranty.

I know there are companies with warranties ranging from 3-11 years and i know they have not been in business for 5 years plus. But they have good customer service and if an warranty issue arises they will take care of you.

I don't believe Walmart will be making the battery. It will be from China (like ALL lithium batteries) just a Walmart label. As said probably from Johnson Controls. And btw, the lithium ION batteries were the dangerous batteries prone to fire hazard, not the iron phosphate.
    Yeah, if the batteries are good and well priced, I would by them with a Walmart label on them. I bought my Goodyear Endurance tires from them and guess what, they were just like the tires from Goodyear, imagine that.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I don't believe Walmart will be making the battery. It will be from China (like ALL lithium batteries) just a Walmart label. As said probably from Johnson Controls. And btw, the lithium ION batteries were the dangerous batteries prone to fire hazard, not the iron phosphate.
    Yeah, if the batteries are good and well priced, I would by them with a Walmart label on them. I bought my Goodyear Endurance tires from them and guess what, they were just like the tires from Goodyear, imagine that.
    Johnson sold off their battery production unit in 2019.

But you are right, outside of Tesla, almost all LiFePo4 cells are made in China. The exceptions are Sony and Panasonic made in Japan, LG and a few others made in Taiwan or Korea.

10. Member
    I don't think where the cells were made is the big question. It is the quality testing and selection of cells and the quality of components and the BMS that makes the best batteries. But, on top of that. The retailer and their support and warranty issue replacement needs to be here in the states where someone close can get you a replacement in short order if a problem arises. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Banned
    Another thing to consider is Walmart has the retail presence to put their batteries in the faces of millions of shoppers daily. That's something the other big players simply do not have. Does Impulse, Ionic, LithiumPro, Battleborn, etc even move 2 million units a year? Combined? Probably not. So what does Walmart care if they're only marking up these batteries 10-20%? They'll sell like hotcakes. I'd have to imagine the mark up on the other brands is closer to 80-100%. And Walmart won't have to pay sponsor or endorsement money to anyone.

12. Member
    Walmart batteries are loved and scorned. Don't know the ratio. I have heard both for a long time. Service at the locations probably account for that.

13. Member
    Got my 100 AH batteries with BlueTooth straight from China, $350.00 each shipped to my door. Have not had to use warranty cause they work.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

14. Member
    The everstart deep cycles have been the best & longest lasting batterys i've ever had in any of my boats so i'd definitely buy a walmart lithium deep cycles for my trolling motor or electronics.

15. Fishing is a Passion
    Johnson Controls battery was sold to Clarios
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

16. Member
    ANNOUNCEMENTSClarios and China Lithium Battery Technology Company Enter Strategic Collaboration to Develop 12V Lithium-Ion Systems

NOVEMBER 17, 2021

Battery leaders combine expertise to provide low-voltage lithium-ion battery systems to global automakers

Clarios, producer of one in three of the world's car batteries, will enter a strategic collaboration with China Lithium Battery Technology Company (CALB) to develop low-voltage lithium-ion battery systems to address the growing electrical needs of global automakers.
    Under the agreement, the companies will partner to develop and manufacture low-voltage lithium-ion battery systems with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) cells to support the needs of electric vehicles — combining CALB's lithium-ion cell expertise with Clarios' battery system and vehicle integration capabilities.
    "This strategic collaboration is the next step in expanding our portfolio of low-voltage battery technologies for the electric and autonomous vehicle market," said Mark Wallace, CEO, Clarios. "Entering into strategic partnerships like this has long helped Clarios' leadership position in the market, and going forward will continue to help Clarios expand our industry-leading product portfolio with the latest technology to further support vehicles of tomorrow."
    The Clarios-CALB battery systems will further expand the Clarios xEV category, a portfolio of advanced low-voltage batteries specifically designed to work in tandem with high-voltage batteries to ensure safe and reliable vehicle performance. Clarios xEV enables state-of-the-art features and, more importantly, provides critical safety functionality in emergency situations where the high-voltage battery fails or disconnects.
    Clarios estimates that out of the 1.7 billion cars expected to be on the road by 2040, up to 50 percent will be a combination of full and plug-in hybrids, as well as electric vehicles. Each vehicle will require an advanced low-voltage battery as a key component of a multi-battery system to help provide constant power and ensure crucial safety functionality. As more autonomous features are added to vehicles, there is even greater reliance on the 12V to protect against failures that put occupants at risk.
    The collaboration will be global, with development locations in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
    About Clarios: Clarios is a world leader in advanced energy storage solutions. We partner with our aftermarket and original equipment customers to meet increasing market demand for smarter applications on a global scale. Our 16,000 employees develop, manufacture and distribute a portfolio of evolving battery technologies for virtually every type of vehicle. Our technologies deliver uniquely sustainable, next-generation performance, and bring reliability, safety and comfort to everyday lives. We add value at every link in the supply chain, ensuring that up to 99% of the materials in our batteries are recovered, recycled and reused, contributing to the progress of the communities we serve and the planet we all share. Clarios is a subsidiary of Brookfield Business Partners.
    About CALB: Visit http://en.calb-tech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    I find it difficult to believe Walmart is developing anything, especially a lithium battery with a built in charger. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Yeah, Walmart isn't developing anything. A battery supplier in China who supplies them maybe. LOL

18. Member
    Last edited by tj; 05-20-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

19. Member
    I am not really interested in helping Wal-Mart make more profit. Therefore I would rather pay a little more for a local boat store to sell me one, at least someone would check you out and you wont have to go to a self check out.

20. Member
    95% self checkout frosts my muffins as well! They need to have a 75 and over manned checkout lane as well. Bob