Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    In reading the entire Matthew 24, Christ does give some clear deatails of things to take place that will give indication of the end of times is at hand.

For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again. “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.
    For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
    “Immediately after the distress of those days
    “‘the sun will be darkened,
    and the moon will not give its light;
    the stars will fall from the sky,
    and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.
    “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.

These are details that Jesus gave to the apostles when they asked in privacy.

Is it possible that John is repeating some of the things Jesus said above? and based on dawn starting to break, Paul is just making a statement about the time of day , since he was know to give a sermon lasting well into the night.

I trust in Christ with my life and my eternal life, so I have no reason to doubt His words.

Remember the words of Peter when Jesus asked the apostles if they were going to leave Him as many people did, ' where will we go Lord', which is clear that without Christ we have nothing left to hope or run to for safety and salvation.

Be safe and be well.

Hey, my friend, I am not understanding your question/statement to me (highlighted portion). I'm not brightest crayon in box for sure!

****I am not referencing the highlighted portion that you originally highlighted in your post.

You be blessed as well.

2. Member
    Dozer,
    Actually it was not directed to you but to anyone that may have read your post. I don't need to tell you that John was with Jesus everyday during His entire ministry, therefore, he could have as well been quoting or reflecting on things Jesus may have said. Have you ever read the gospel of Thomas. It is very interesting recollection of things that Jesus said. Unfortunately, it did not fit what the church canon wanted, so it was never part of scripture.

As for Paul, I was just making an observation based on Paul's nature of preaching, such as the time he preached for so long, that a young man listening from an upper window was overcome by sleep and fell. Paul, by the Holy Spirit, restored his life.
    Your question whi missed it? If I were to bet, I would go with us.

3. Member
    Dozer,
    Actually it was not directed to you but to anyone that may have read your post. I don't need to tell you that John was with Jesus everyday during His entire ministry, therefore, he could have as well been quoting or reflecting on things Jesus may have said. Have you ever read the gospel of Thomas. It is very interesting recollection of things that Jesus said. Unfortunately, it did not fit what the church canon wanted, so it was never part of scripture.

As for Paul, I was just making an observation based on Paul's nature of preaching, such as the time he preached for so long, that a young man listening from an upper window was overcome by sleep and fell. Paul, by the Holy Spirit, restored his life.
    Ah, a bright mind dig!

now I understand (hopefully).

I wish you and I could sit over dinner and could talk. Thank you for your comment.

Yes, I have read the "Gospel of Thomas", Thomas is my last name in real life, my first name is not gods, and my last name is not dozer.........

I do not reference "non canonical sources" often because church goers would not understand.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Ah, a bright mind dig!

I wish you and I could sit over dinner and could talk. Thank you for your comment.

Yes, I have read the "Gospel of Thomas", Thomas is my last name in real life, my first name is not gods, and my last name is not dozer.........

I do not reference "non canonical sources" often because church goers would not understand.
    I'm betting there are many church goers that study other antiquities. Not to your level :) but they might understand
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Dozer,

Dig, why do you like the book of thomas? There were many parts (dating to the 3rd century aside) that sounded nothing like what Jesus would say. Curious to hear your thoughts

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    I'm betting there are many church goers that study other antiquities. Not to your level :) but they might understand
    Good morning mram,

This is why writing often lends itself to miscommunication (think about the biblical text we often disagree and debate about). My intention had nothing to do with the "level", of knowledge or intellect. I simply tried to communicate (and failed) in that post that most Christians are not comfortable reading "religious" text outside of the bible they have. That is why I told dig, I would really like to sit down, face to face and have dinner with him.

I am not sure what Christian circles you have participated with in your life, but down here in the "bible belt" my experience is they don't want to hear nor read anything other than the good ole KJV that has often been changed over the years.

7. Member
    Good morning mram,

This is why writing often lends itself to miscommunication (think about the biblical text we often disagree and debate about). My intention had nothing to do with the "level", of knowledge or intellect. I simply tried to communicate (and failed) in that post that most Christians are not comfortable reading "religious" text outside of the bible they have. That is why I told dig, I would really like to sit down, face to face and have dinner with him.

I am not sure what Christian circles you have participated with in your life, but down here in the "bible belt" my experience is they don't want to hear nor read anything other than the good ole KJV that has often been changed over the years.
    Good morning to you Sir,
    Not denying many church goers don't read things outside the Bible. I was responding to your comment "I do not reference "non canonical sources" often because church goers would not understand."

8. Member
    Ah, a bright mind dig!

I am well aware of your last name Derrell, but I always try to be discrete with IDs. I started to read it out of curiosity, but I felt that I owe it to Thomas to read the entire thing prior to making up my mind on it. We are a long ways away, but if I am down your way, I will be honored to buy you supper and chat a spell about Scripture and heavy equipment.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    Dig, why do you like the book of thomas? There were many parts (dating to the 3rd century aside) that sounded nothing like what Jesus would say. Curious to hear your thoughts
    Who is to say what Jesus would say? but those that walked, ate, and lodged with Him. Remember, Thomas was the curious one that questioned the apostles about the resurrection of Christ, yet Christ himself praised him and urged him to dare to be different as far as to touch Him. There is people today that are trying to negate what Jesus did in the temple to the merchants, since it seems so unlike that Jesus would show such anger.
    You would be very surprised by looking at me that I am a bondservant of Christ, yet we need to learn, and look past the earrings, high and tight hair, and in your face attitude. I did not find anything offensive or way out of line in it, apart of being a 'compilation of sayings' style.

10. Member
    I am well aware of your last name Derrell, but I always try to be discrete with IDs. I started to read it out of curiosity, but I felt that I owe it to Thomas to read the entire thing prior to making up my mind on it. We are a long ways away, but if I am down your way, I will be honored to buy you supper and chat a spell about Scripture and heavy equipment.

11. Member
    Who is to say what Jesus would say? but those that walked, ate, and lodged with Him. Remember, Thomas was the curious one that questioned the apostles about the resurrection of Christ, yet Christ himself praised him and urged him to dare to be different as far as to touch Him. There is people today that are trying to negate what Jesus did in the temple to the merchants, since it seems so unlike that Jesus would show such anger.
    You would be very surprised by looking at me that I am a bondservant of Christ, yet we need to learn, and look past the earrings, high and tight hair, and in your face attitude. I did not find anything offensive or way out of line in it, apart of being a 'compilation of sayings' style.
    Have you read the book of thomas? Have you compared it to the four gospels? That is why I say it is not part.
    1. it dates to late 2nd century at the earliest. That is long after thomas died
    2. there is only one copy in existence (that i found while researching) whic is strange since there are many copies of the others
    3. it does not line up with any of the other gospels. The verses are very strange. Her is the last verse in the book of thomas
    114 Simon Peter said to them: Let Mary go forth from among us, for women are not worthy of the life. Jesus said: Behold, I shall lead her, that I may make her male, in order that she also may become a living spirit like you males. For every woman who makes herself male shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12