Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Do the things you want to do *now*. Many people will suffer health issues that prevent them from doing the things they love, and they can crop up at any time.

50 yo now. I have 7 years left before they kick me out. I wont have a choice. I plan on calling it quits when they say goodbye. Gonna fish alot when i am done.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

I can’t wait to retire. I don’t know the exact reasons but I’ve gotten to where I hate working, at least part of my job which consists of really two different jobs. I fly for a full month then work at our flight training center a month. I’m asking myself why I’m working at the training center every other month as my schedule is terrible. Guys hired 15 years after I was hired have great schedules and I guess I’m just sick of the BS political crap that goes on in an office environment, something that doesn’t happen flying full time. I hired I know why I do it every other month, purely the money, but I’m over it. But, with one kid in college and one staring this fall I don’t want to rush in to a stupid decision that I will regret.

65 for me
    I'm to cheap to pay for my own medical

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxFishing View Post
    65 for me
    You're really going to be pissed.

6. Member
    I been self employed for ever, retirement would be extremely boring.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    You're really going to be pissed.

Medicare beyond Part A is not free, and if you don’t have health insurance you are going to need more than just A.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Reading some of these posts glad I stuck with the military for 20 years and then found a Federal job right after it. I could retire/ retire in less than 7 years (52), but will probably stick with it until I'm 65.

9. Member
    Man, I'm only 29 and can't wait to retire hahaha.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    FIRE ... look it up, understand it, believe it, live it. Only YOU will stop it from occurring, fact.
    However, like everything else in life, it's going to require you to commit more than casually.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    Take a look at Jason Fiber on YouTube. He retired at 33 but it took alot of adjustment on his part. He invested in dividend growth stocks, and then moved to Thailand where the cost of living is very cheap. With the dividend increases he is able to maintain a comfortable style of living. Of course he is not married and has no kids so that makes it much easier.

12. Member
    I am a LEO and I am eligible to retire on May 19, 2023 with 20 years of federal service. I will be 55 years old at that time and my target date is 12/31/2023. I find myself thinking about retirement very often. I know it will be a big adjustment but I hope to fish a couple days during the week and maybe tournaments on the weekends. If I have to work it will not involve the criminal justice system.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxFishing View Post
    65 for me
    As I said earlier, I just retired at 63, so I have to purchase my own medical ins. That's the one thing that I was not looking forward to and had budgeted $1200 a month for it because of what everyone had been saying. Went to a local business that carried Florida Blue. Picked out the Bronze Plan, zero deductible, just $50 co-pay per visit to doc and other decent co-pays for emergency room, etc... They needed to know how much you were going to make in retirement per year because he said the government subsidizes some of it depending on your income. I'm thinking no help from the government for me because my income would be pretty decent but not a bunch by no means. Anyway, came back that the premium was $1300 but after government subsidize it was $485 per month. I said thank you LORD! More fishing.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    Don’t wish your life it will happen sooner then you realize!
    EXACTLY !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    I am a LEO and I am eligible to retire on May 19, 2023 with 20 years of federal service. I will be 55 years old at that time and my target date is 12/31/2023. I find myself thinking about retirement very often. I know it will be a big adjustment but I hope to fish a couple days during the week and maybe tournaments on the weekends. If I have to work it will not involve the criminal justice system.
    I was very fortunate, and honored, to have had a 30 year career in Fed Law Enforcement. The places I got to go, and things I got to do and see were beyond the realm of most people’s imagination. It was a rewarding, challenging, and very often violent job in a high stress environment, but I loved it.
    Retired at 56, and completely walked away to start a whole new chapter in life. I still qualify with the Marshals every year to retain my LEOSA certification. Otherwise, I’m done with the LEO life. Nowadays are about enjoying my wife’s company, my family, and my fishing. Do what you want, when you want, with who you want.
    Life Is Good.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTN View Post
    I been self employed for ever, retirement would be extremely boring.
    same here coming up on 32 yrs soon
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    I'll be 50 next month and on my 29th year with my job. My boss is transferring in a couple weeks and I may have an opportunity for advancement. But, I'm not sure that I want having more stress and dealing with more problems I'm tired of what I'm doing and don't get much enjoyment from it anymore due to coworkers and constant change. I can't early retire until I'm 57. I hate to quit and screw up my retirement, but like I said, I don't enjoy the work anymore. My house is paid for, so I have no large payments. I'm just not sure what to do.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landem View Post
    I'll be 50 next month and on my 29th year with my job. My boss is transferring in a couple weeks and I may have an opportunity for advancement. But, I'm not sure that I want having more stress and dealing with more problems I'm tired of what I'm doing and don't get much enjoyment from it anymore due to coworkers and constant change. I can't early retire until I'm 57. I hate to quit and screw up my retirement, but like I said, I don't enjoy the work anymore. My house is paid for, so I have no large payments. I'm just not sure what to do.
    An American Male has an average lifespan of 78.79 years. Thats the average, more and more Americans are making it over 85 years old.

"The fastest growing cohort of the U.S. population is made up of those who are ages 85 and over. Baby boomers are U.S. people born between 1964 and 1984."

I cant tell you how many people I meet in my part time Medicare job that did NOT plan to live that old. Due to the messed up way the gubbment now calculates inflation, your social security check is not going to keep up. Your investments should help, but unless you set back a WHOLE BUNCH of money before 50 years old it may be tough? Even with your house paid off, roofs, AC units, furniture etc... keep going up in price.

My wife and I hired a financial advisor before me deciding to punch out. They can't guarantee the future, but it sure is nice knowing we are on the right track.

Everything is out the window for the seniors who end up in nursing homes at 8,000.00 a MONTH! Most of them end up on Medicaid. Take a walk through a Medicaid nursing home before you decide to punch out at 50 years old betting you can live another 35 years on your "retirement." I'd suck up the next 7 years. You can do that standing on your head.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    An American Male has an average lifespan of 78.79 years. Thats the average, more and more Americans are making it over 85 years old.

"The fastest growing cohort of the U.S. population is made up of those who are ages 85 and over. Baby boomers are U.S. people born between 1964 and 1984."

I cant tell you how many people I meet in my part time Medicare job that did NOT plan to live that old. Due to the messed up way the gubbment now calculates inflation, your social security check is not going to keep up. Your investments should help, but unless you set back a WHOLE BUNCH of money before 50 years old it may be tough? Even with your house paid off, roofs, AC units, furniture etc... keep going up in price.

My wife and I hired a financial advisor before me deciding to punch out. They can't guarantee the future, but it sure is nice knowing we are on the right track.

Everything is out the window for the seniors who end up in nursing homes at 8,000.00 a MONTH! Most of them end up on Medicaid. Take a walk through a Medicaid nursing home before you decide to punch out at 50 years old betting you can live another 35 years on your "retirement." I'd suck up the next 7 years. You can do that standing on your head.
    Boomers were born between 1946 and 1964. Gen X'ers were born between 1964 and 1984.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Member
    Go old catch Jeff. The article I quoted had that wrong. I should have did a better job proof reading. The over 85 cohort is correct.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast