New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Ice is forming around here

What's everyone ice situation as of now around where you live??? I don't ice fish so makes for a longer winter with ice...lmao
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Headed out ice fishing tomorrow AM. Folks have been out on some of the sheltered ponds for a couple of weeks here, but the one we're headed to wasn't safe last Sunday.

3. Member
    Heard there’s around 4 inches in southern NH
    Red Sox in 6!

4. Member
    Fished this am up in Barnstead, stood on about 9" of ice. Didnt catch crap. Came home and fished the tiny pond 1/8 of a mile from my house. 7" of ice and I crushed the perch and a few bass jigging for the last 2 hours of daylight. Ice was booming and cracking good this am. -7 air temp at 6:30 am when we headed out.

5. Member
    Had 6"-8" in Bradford. Bunch of slime darts and two jumbo YP. You're right about the loud ice! Did see an eagle right off the bat too.

6. Member
    Had 6" of gin clear ice in Amherst yesterday, buddy of mine was out in Brookline today and had 5" of black ice as well, both TINY little ponds. Just curious how all of the cape ponds held up from this cold front. It's been 2 weeks since I got my boat out, I vowed to not go longer than 4 weeks between open water trips this winter dammit!!

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I was hoping some of the cape boys would chime in , I think Basscat21 said he had ice down there just not sure how much??

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    in Brookline today and had 5" of black ice as well, both TINY little ponds.!
    Was that Melendy? There are/were some giant bass in there.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Was that Melendy? There are/were some giant bass in there.
    Yup that's the one. Last confirmed giant I know of was caught twice there, my buddy has the pics to prove it. 7 lbs 7 oz on a scale out of my boat, then he caught it again 2 years later on his boat. It was absolutely bigger but no scale to verify weight unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    I was hoping some of the cape boys would chime in , I think Basscat21 said he had ice down there just not sure how much??
    There was ice earlier this week, we had some warm weather, rain today. but look like its getting colder again. My bogs still have ice on them, which is also moving water, so normally that clears up before the ponds.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I heard Mashpee and Wequaquet were open, and Santuit had ice around the ramp but the rest was open ,so you still can find some open water Sean if you want to head down...lol

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    I heard Mashpee and Wequaquet were open, and Santuit had ice around the ramp but the rest was open ,so you still can find some open water Sean if you want to head down...lol
    At this point it won't be for another 3 weeks. Can't get out this weekend. Can't get out next weekend as I'm working the Expo for sponsors. Following weekend we're going to Champlain for some lake trout through the ice, that should be fun. After that, I'm hoping to drag the boat down if the snow plays nice! Puts me at mid February which is usually good for open water options down that way if memory serves correct.