Thread: Skipping rod?

Skipping rod?

For a skipping rod (baitcaster) what do some of you recommend? Is the Andy Montgomery skipping rod probably 6'9" for me not real tall worth it or should I spend more for a better one or less for the same type?
    03 520 Mercury 225EFI

2. Member
    Just bought that same rod and am very impressed as it is light in weight but powerful with a tip that loads well for casting . Comes with a 2 year warranty too.

3. Member
    I've been using a Andy Montgomery Daiwa Tatula TAEL 691 HFC for 2-seasons. Works great for me and it's one of the rods that is always on my deck. I think Andy Montgomery is now with Lew's and has a new skipping rod out. At 5'9" any rod over 7-feet I have a problem skipping with.

4. Member
    Check out the ALX Skipper. This rod is 6'9'" and is made especially for skipping. Works great when skipping jigs. Very good frog rod too.

5. Member
    I skip docks everytime out, used a lot of different rods over the years. Ended up with 4 ALX Skippers. I usually have 2 on the deck and 2 in the rod locker. Im selling the extra 2. They’re in the rods for sale forum.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's a big help.
    03 520 Mercury 225EFI

CW PM Sent
    03 520 Mercury 225EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Reelfoot View Post
    Check out the ALX Skipper. This rod is 6'9'" and is made especially for skipping. Works great when skipping jigs. Very good frog rod too.
    I skip all the time living on a lake that has well over a thousand docks. I’ve tried about every skipping rod available and the best I own is the ALX Skipper

I had the Daiwa Tatule 7'1" Elite skipping rod for awhile , its one of the ones that Andy designed when he was with Daiwa and it worked really well,, then went to a NRX 854 and was happy with it till I picked up and started using the Daiwa Steez Power Pitch and man it's just about got the NRX kicked out of the rod locker but it's 7'2" ,,I know most prefer a shorter rod for skipping but for me I prefer 7' 1" plus

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggin95 View Post
    For a skipping rod (baitcaster) what do some of you recommend? Is the Andy Montgomery skipping rod probably 6'9" for me not real tall worth it or should I spend more for a better one or less for the same type?
    Anything MH-H between 6'9-7'6 works well for me.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series