Thread size for guide wrapping?

I am going to be replacing a couple guides on Powell max rods. This is my first time wrapping guides. I need to purchase black thread. Websites show size A and size D thread. Can someone explain this and tell me what to use?
    Thanks for your help!

2. Member
    A ... larger thread sizes are for offshore/heavy stuff.

3. Member
    A is what most people will use. Prowrap makes B, most make A & D and Pac Bay makes C. The bigger it is the easier it is to work with, the thinner will typically look better but can be more challenging to wrap. If it's black thread on a black blank you really can't tell the difference IMO between A and D. I use C a lot especially in black. That's what I'd personally recommend to someone who hasn't wrapped before.

I used A as a beginner worked great.

5. Banned
    I build all my rods with size D thread. Unless you are looking very closely you can't tell a difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

for personal repairs A thru D will work D is larger diameter and will appear as a courser thread Wrape
    Last edited by Frank A; 01-21-2022 at 09:31 AM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

for personal repairs A thru D will work I have used all and even use side D Nylon quilting thread, from Walmart sewing dept with great success --- I know that's like drinking beer in church but they were my rods and was experimenting did not use thread seal but did use PRO SEAL for finale thread coat. Look great was using royal blue and black no color bleed and after several months of use. However, if you're wanting to match perfect the factory most likely used size A
    Last edited by Frank A; 01-21-2022 at 11:49 AM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

I use A for everyone else's rods, but frequently use c on my own, simply because it's so easy to work with and I really don't care how it looks

9. Member
    It makes no real difference strength wise, you wrap more thread with "A" so it's a wash. I think you'll have more uses for A. "A" is by no means the smallest thread used in rod wrapping.

I think getting A and rolling with it makes the most sense. As others have said, it's not a huge deal. Besides, the diameter of "A" will vary dramatically between brands, even within brands. The ProWrap colorfast is significantly thicker than their plain nylon, for example.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34