Ghost 360 - Seem Strange To You?

Does the new Ghost 360 by Lowrance seem really strange to others in the Humminbird community? It is mounted to the Lowrance Ghost Trolling Motor so you can't use the motor when you are trying to use 360. It also only makes a 180 degree sweep back and forth with 2 piezos. I watched a couple of videos on the product and the "you can't use the motor when using 360" was added at the end as an "oh by the way". It just seems to defeat the purpose of a 360 device which should be stationary and aligned with the boat to be truly beneficial. I can understand mounting a live unit to a trolling motor where you can point it for instantaneous views but this just seems to me to be yet another Lowrance product that misses the mark.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by SLYDoggie; 01-14-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

2. Member
    One Word.... Patent

don't see the point of having one..
    doubt it sales much.

The Ghost 360 is free software that controls the rotation of the trolling motor using a built-in transducer that has Side Scan==all in one transducer.
    If you don't have a built-in Side Scan transducer, you have to change the nose cone to add that. THEN the software rotates the trolling motor back and forth to do the rotational scanning to create the 360 view.
    You give up spotlock when that is going on, no different in function than putting a forward facing sonar on the trolling motor and cannot randomly aim the FFC when in spotlock.

It is similar to an Ultrex or Ulterra with built-in MSI transducer having software to rotate the trolling motor and do a version of 360.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

So you really can’t use it unless it’s calm?
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

6. Member
    Sucks! Can’t use it when using trolling motor. And it’s only a 180 scan. I’m too used to the way I use HB Mega 360 with the boat moving and searching. No way to cover a lot of lake searching for structure and fish with trolling motor off. Seems like a good pic tho from the videos.

7. Member
    It reminds me of the "stitching" they did to create a true "down image".
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    From what I can gather and research. You would use it to scan a brush pile before spot locking on the pile and see if they are fish on the brush. If you see fish you would then spot lock to keep your postion, then in turn use the live imaging to keep up with the fish location around the brush and see if they are interested in your lure and try to provoke a strike.

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Sucks! Can’t use it when using trolling motor. And it’s only a 180 scan. I’m too used to the way I use HB Mega 360 with the boat moving and searching. No way to cover a lot of lake searching for structure and fish with trolling motor off. Seems like a good pic tho from the videos.
    Well, the trolling motor rotates 180 degrees back & forth but the Ghost 360 Transducer has piezos shooting forward and backwards at the same time so it does cover 360 degrees.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

To me and as a previous Lowrance Spot Light Scan owner/user, this is an improvement for Lowrance. With a set of very tall shallow water anchors, the new Lowrance unit will do what the Spot Light Scan unit did, but with motorized rotation. A lot of fishermen hardly ever fish deeper than 10-12 fow.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

11. Member
    Harold Sharp bank runners ��

12. Member
    I think it’s brilliant. I’m not a Lowrance guy but I’m hoping they add a function where you can just press a button and the head does a quick 180 and then goes right back to anchor mode.

13. Member
    I'm guessing they're getting the software ready for something else

14. Banned
    the swappable nose cones are genius though

It’s a knock off 360. It is a quick add on with relatively no investment if you already have the transducer. The functionality is limited. I really like using 360 when I’m going down the bank, it allows me to see offshore structure fish hold onto, you can’t use the trolling motor when using the Lowrance one, kind of pointless.

16. Member
    If you already have the Ghost and lowrance graphs its just a simple software update. Probably not going to be used often, but lets say you are slowly fishing through a stumpfield in 4-5ft of water. You could theoretically anchor and have the unit 360 scan to help you cast to stumps. That's about the only application I can see it being worth much.