venting when charging

Is there any need to leave the battery compartment open when charging AGM sealed battery and Lithium batteries?
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    For AGMs there perhaps is a very minimal possibility of explosive gasses accumulating within the closed compartment during recharging if a charger fails to properly voltage limit or the AGM's vent itself fails Owner missetting some chargers to flooded acid setting could also cause venting and release of explosive battery gasses.

3. Member
    ok, thanks Lou for the info
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    Wet cell batteries need good ventilation for normal charging. AGM's should open to a vent or something for the reason Lou mentions. Probably none needed for Lithium, but heat in the summer can damage Lithium batteries if they are in a shallow box just under the deck. Wet cells can do some real damage if the hydrogen sulfide gas gets thick in there. Corrosion damage as well as explosive mixtures of air and gas. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I keep my boat in the garage and the bilge compartment always open, especially when charging. I feel like the heat really builds up and issues may come of it but like the above said. gases. If I'm charging on the road I put something between the hatch and the gunnel to allow venting when charging.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I’ve always kept the bilge lid open any time my boat is in the garage. Wide open while recharging after a trip regardless of battery type. Just like to keep an eye on things and visually inspect everything after coming off the water. After batteries are recharged I lay a piece of 6” pool noodle under the lid to keep it wedged open 6-7”. Keeps the bilge dry, and let’s fumes escape if they accumulate. Another fun fact is I always end up with at least 4-5 tree frogs stuck to the underside of the lid throughout the cold weather. If I open the lid slowly they’ll remain in place the whole time I’m piddling around the boat. And they go along for the ride when I go fishing in Winter. Kind of fun for me to see them when they show up in the late Fall.
    They’ve never caused any issues, and they disappear after it warms up.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 01-15-2022 at 08:01 AM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"