Thread: Free Rig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Drew,what in your opinion was the cause of your ‘very modest success “ ?
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Drew,what in your opinion was the cause of your ‘very modest success “ ?
    Realistically I think it was that I didn't give it enough of a chance, or otherwise experiment with it during different conditions/times of years. The timeframe where I devoted the most effort to it was late summer when the offshore fish were about as educated as they get in Minnesota. I was boat racing them on a drop shot at the time. Over a few weeks I had the free rig tied on and threw it occasionally, but it was often batting cleanup. I think it caught a few fish I wouldn't have caught otherwise...few being the operative word. It did have couple opportunities in the lead off spot and produced, though my confidence in it was lacking and I always sat it back down for the drop shot that was producing better. I think it's just something I need to spend more time with.

At the risk of getting off-topic: I'll be saving it for a day they're biting really well. That's the only thing I know to do to turn new techniques into confidence techniques, and I think gaining some confidence in a technique is the only way to really become good at it. The drop shot is probably the best example of this in my fishing. I don't have the discipline to go out and throw something that isn't working to force myself to learn it. On the flip side, once I believe it's going to work, it's a whole lot easier to keep throwing and learning it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I like to try out new techniques in waters where there are lots of small biters, rather than waters where there are fewer but larger fish. More bites, more experience, more confidence.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

4. Member
    When I was learning the Slider method someone told me fish it around any fish that would bite to get the feel
    Red Sox in 6!

5. Member
    Bringing to top.
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Member
    I did not see the video. What is the specific tackle needed and where can it be purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    I did not see the video. What is the specific tackle needed and where can it be purchased?
    It's basically a Texas rig that uses a drop shot style sinker instead of a bullet weight. You want it to slide up and down the line, so you need to either buy drop shot weights that have open eyes or pry open the style that stays on via friction. you can purchase it basically anywhere.

I think most people are just using cylinder shaped weights, though I think technically the ones designed to be used on a free rig are somewhere between the cylinder shape and casting weight shape...essentially a bell-shaped cylinder, or an elongated bell shape.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

8. Member
    Google it there are a few videos that explain it pretty well.
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Member
    Shin has a video on it and explains (as only he can) all the details and why...
    Wave Therapy

10. Member
    I tried it a few times with no luck using a Gee Crack Bellows Gill. Still haven’t given up on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rippin Traps View Post
    I tried it a few times with no luck using a Gee Crack Bellows Gill. Still haven’t given up on it yet.
    Try it with a Missile Baits "Ned Bomb" or "Quiver Worm". That's my plan, anyway.

12. Member
    Ice off local river(most of it anyway) . Tried a Dolive beaver,Dolive stick and. 4 inch senko. The beaver and stick have a nice spiral on the fall. The Senko probably best used in the conventional way. I could see how a small tube might be interesting
    Red Sox in 6!

13. Member
    Tried a fluke,Ned bomb,tube and TRD. Fluke had a nice lazy spiral and if the water is deeper than 12 inches. Ned Bomb falls quickly but still looks pretty good. tRD has a nice slow drifting look, might try the Big Trd. The tube also spirals really nice. Thinking now as long as bait isn’t too heavy any number of bait would work.
    Red Sox in 6!

Fished a full Zinker on a free rig for a bit yesterday, first time I have tried it, caught somewhere around 8 bass on it, but nothing sizeable. What really struck me is I had a lot fewer snags than I would have using a conventional t-rig with a worm weight. I was on Table Rock, and it is a very snaggy lake to fish.

I fished a baby D bomb. I thing the bigger flat baits work pretty well. The technique is to cast and let slack so the weight goes to the bottom, and bait flutters down. So there is time you do not have contact with the bait. Guess any shape would work, just feel the flatter one would glide better. I used teardrop shaped weights. For me the slack line, was kinda weird to get used to, and its definitly a slow fishing technique. I caught fish, in fact a good one. Something for the bag of tricks.

16. Member
    Question for everyone anyone, after the initial slack line fall what is your technique to retrieve it, or do you just reel it right in for the next cast? I’ve found you have to give it a good rip to get it off the bottom to get another free glide, or do you work right on bottom like a t rig/ jika rig?

17. Member
    I am a big fan of the free rig. If they don’t hit it on the initial fall, I lift the rod straight up to allow it to pendulum back down. The best baits for the free rig are the Yamamoto D Shad and the Jackall Honey Nugget. I have also caught them in 30 FOW with 3/8 sinker and Senko. Just lifting up and allowing to fall back down.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I fished a baby D bomb. I thing the bigger flat baits work pretty well. The technique is to cast and let slack so the weight goes to the bottom, and bait flutters down. So there is time you do not have contact with the bait. Guess any shape would work, just feel the flatter one would glide better. I used teardrop shaped weights. For me the slack line, was kinda weird to get used to, and its definitly a slow fishing technique. I caught fish, in fact a good one. Something for the bag of tricks.
    I have some D-Bombs, need to try those too. So many lures, so little time....good tip BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Tried a fluke,Ned bomb,tube and TRD. Fluke had a nice lazy spiral and if the water is deeper than 12 inches. Ned Bomb falls quickly but still looks pretty good. tRD has a nice slow drifting look, might try the Big Trd. The tube also spirals really nice. Thinking now as long as bait isn’t too heavy any number of bait would work.
    Where you have the bait hooked...and the size/weight of the hook...will make a lot of difference in the way any particular bait falls. Might experiment without the weight, in the pool or right next to the boat where you can see how the bait falls. The way I envision it, this will be a presentation where line watching will be important, and I don't see so good anymore.

20. Member
    Okay revisiting this. Fished the free rig over the last week without much luck but I’m not giving up on this rig.
    My setup was a ri sweet beaver, 3/16 weight,14lb siege mono, thick for its rating (.37mm), mhf casting rig, pitching shallow to banks, laydowns, docks, 2’ visibility, 2-5 fow.
    There hasn’t been much talk about rod reel and line, curious as to what gear and line you’re using, where you fish it, also what size weights correspond to various fishing depths.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12