Thread: Free Rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Free Rig

Anyone here have any thoughts on this rig. It’s round eyed drop shot weight on line sliding up and down in front of hook/bait.
    Red Sox in 6!

Sounds kind of interesting, Texas rig with a different weight basically. Maybe less snaggy than a bullet weight if you're dragging it through rocks?

3. Member
    Just purchased the components this month to try with some new soft baits...probably a money grab but sorta felt that way about the Tokyo rig until it boated me a 5 lb'er...LOL...put about anything in front of an agressive, hungry bass and they'll eat, right?? Look forward to trying in early spring when all that nasty stuff has collected on the bottom and weed growth is hanging onto it like velcro

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

Looks like it will work. Might not get snagged up a lot with a long weight like that. I’ve done bullet weights free and had success.

5. Scraps
    I bought the garb to try it out. Could not find those cute drop shot weights locally, that was the biggest part. I can see applications for it. Was thinking of using that like a mojo rig in the spring down to 8ft and when things get tuff which is a lot around here........for me at least. Anything to get a different look. Those guys out at The Hook Up Tackle talk a lot about the free rig on their YT channel.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    It was the Hook up guys constantly talking about it that made me buy stuff to try it. Did buy some Dolive Beavers from them to try.
    Red Sox in 6!

7. Member
    I started fishing a free rig a couple of years ago. I was using a 3/8 oz drop shot weight and a zoom trick worm and actually have done really well on it. I have really only fished it deep (like 15+ feet) and i have done really well.

8. Member
    I have had good success with the free rig. The best bait for me has been a Yamamato D Shad.

So are you guys talking about using a cylinder type DS weight?

10. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I use nothing but a cylinder weight for drop shotting in a rocky quarry lake and it doesn't seem to get stuck much. The thing is you gotta find the ones with the solid ring on them. Only thing I could find locally were the dipsy weights with the brass line tie.

I never really thought about fishing it deep but now think that would work really well on these gravely rock piles here out in 15-20ft. I'd fish it on spinning gear.
    2017 Phoenix 819

11. Member
    Zach,the trick worm is bigger than I was planning on but maybe I should try it.
    Red Sox in 6!

12. Scraps
    I see it as kind of a Ned rig alternative. Ned is severely overfished around me.
    2017 Phoenix 819

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Zach,the trick worm is bigger than I was planning on but maybe I should try it.

I honestly havent tried it with anything but a straight tailed finesse worm. 3/8 oz teardrop drop shot weight aand any variety of finesse worm.

Im sure a paddle tail swimbait of craw style bait would also work. I just havent tried it. But the rig has worked well for me.

If you give it a try im sure youll catch some.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Yeah but the line tie is a closed circle, not "pinch" type

15. Member
    Some good info on YT as someone mentioned...one I watched was either Takahiro or Shin if I remember right

I'll have to check out one of the videos.

17. Member
    The supposed theory is that it fishes similar to a T-rig, but the bullet weight on the T-rig causes the the plastic to pendulum away from the target on the fall more the the free rig. Whereas, the free rig is supposed to fall more vertical. Not sure how true that actually is.

18. Member
    Tip from the tipster here, you can use split ring pliers to open up the tip on the the regular cinch down style drop shot weights so they slide freely, no need to even buy those open eye ones.

19. Member
    If you check out HookUp Tackle's Youtube channel they talk about it quite a bit. I decided not to give it a try since I finally realized I buy gear only to use the same 3-4 techniques that always catch me fish.

I've thrown it a little with only very modest success, but need to give it another chance. Good info here!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast