Virginia Boat Fuel - Fuel Tax Refund

Just a reminder for everyone who fishes Virginia....You can get a refund from Virginia on the fuel tax for gas you use in your boat.

Here is some information I ran across while wandering through cyber-space:

BOAT FUEL TAX REFUNDS
    Written by John Powers, VSSA Director

Hey, DO YOU WANT TO GET SOME OF THE MONEY YOU SPENT ON BOAT GAS BACK FROM THE STATE? Would a little extra cash during the holidays help your wallet?

It’s yours for the asking, and like all things involving the state, the ask is simple in principle.

Did you know that $0.26 of each gallon of gas (or $0.27 for diesel) that you put into your boat is earmarked by the state of Virginia for a fuels tax fund which goes directly to maintain roads and highways in the state?

And you do realize that you don’t drive your boat on the roads or highways in Virginia, right? So those monies that you are paying the state are not applicable to boats that are used on the waterways.

The State decided some time ago to make it possible for that money to be returned to boaters via a refund process, which unfortunately has not been widely advertised.
    VSSA is hoping to spread the word among all the boaters out there to help you get a Christmas (or New Year, or Valentines, or whatever) bonus through the Fuels Tax Refund program.

You are probably wondering, what kinds of boats are eligible? Well, that’s simple: the DMV website says plainly under their ELIGIBLE USE CONDITIONS, boats or watercraft:

Used in operating or propelling commercial watercraft.
    Used in operating or propelling recreational and pleasure watercraft.

That means pretty much any boat that is out on the water for whatever reason.

HOW DO I DO THIS?

The refund process is straightforward. Registration is required the first time you use the Fuels Tax Online Refund system; thereafter, logon with your email address and the password you have chosen for your account.

To register for an account online, go to www.dmv.virginia.gov/dmv-fueltax/#/. . Then fill out the online web form to make your claim. Be careful following the prompts!

The online system is the easiest to use, but if you don’t like doing this stuff online and want to do it with the paper form, just print out the PDF Refund form available at:

www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/ts216.pdf

and mail it in to DMV along with paper copies of your receipts at this address:

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
    Tax Services, Room 601
    PO Box 27422
    Richmond, VA 23269-7422

WHAT’S THAT YOU SAY?

You didn’t save any of your fuel receipts from this past year? Uh-oh!

That’s unfortunate . . . as you have to have them. But there’s always tomorrow!

Make your first New Year’s resolution and put a note on your 2022 calendar to
    SAVE ALL FUEL RECEIPTS FOR YOUR BOAT!

Written by John Powers, VSSA Director
    We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children
    ><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'· .¸.·´¯'·...><((((º>

2. Member
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look into it.

3. Member
    Same for gas for the lawnmower, diesel for your tractor Etc…
    But yes, you have to have the receipts

4. Member
    As I recall, the first year you have to submit receipts. After that just the monthly total # of gallons. I have done it for a bunch of years and got a check pretty quickly after submitting.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Thanks for the info, even with a tin boat I go through a lot of gas. I do have credit card records for most of my gas purchases.

6. Member
    Tcesni, you need # of gallons, so unless you know price per gallon, may be tough to get accurate. May be worth a call to the department to see how to do it.