a smoker using charcoal/wood

Is there a smoker that uses charcoal or wood (not pellets) that has a thermostat to control the temperature?
    thanks.

2. Member
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

3. Member
    You can buy temp controllers for many styles of grills/smokers, they are not cheap. I have a Flameboss for my egg and it keeps temps as steady as an oven.

4. Member
    Char Griller 980 is a great smoker that uses lump, briquettes and allows wood. I sure like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Char Griller 980 is a great smoker that uses lump, briquettes and allows wood. I sure like mine.
    Tell me about it. Been looking at these.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

Stump's smoker with a Flame Boss controller. Mine's running right now with 5 inches of snow and its held within 2 degrees.
    https://stumpssmokers.com/
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

7. Moderator
    I use a BBQ Guru temp controller on my WSM. Works great.

8. Member
    Thanks. I have the WSM. I'm going to try your suggestion before buying a different smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by hypoxic View Post
    Thanks. I have the WSM. I'm going to try your suggestion before buying a different smoker.
    Watch this

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...untain-1hr-24m
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

10. Member
    A gravity feed smoker would be a good choice it uses charcoal as the primary fuel. Wood chunks are added to the ash pan for additional smoke flavor. This type of smoker works well with a temp controller. Offset and reverse flow stick burners use wood splits as the primary fuel. This type does not work well with a temp controller. Stick burners, unlike charcoal and pellet smokers, are not a "set it and forget it" type smoker, they require good fire management skills. For best results you will be adding wood splits every 20 to 30 min while maintaining a fire that gives off a clear to lite blue smoke and a constant pit temp. I have a Lang 84 Deluxe Reverse Flow Smoker and sometimes wish I had gotten a gravity feed smoker for the set it and forget it ease of use. But I always come back to the quality of food that comes off a stick burner. The superior bark and smoke flavor that a stick burner gives. Good luck with your research!

11. Member
    I have a DIGI Q controller and fan I'm not using anymore and would sell. If anyone is interested message me.

Look into a drum smoker. They are very versatile and not to expensive. I've got a home made one that is really fun to cook on. I'll get a real one sometime....maybe a Big Poppa.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC