RT198P Big Water Ride

I currently have a mid 90's 518, and was looking at the rt198p to upgrade to. Does anyone have any insight as to how it handles in big waters that might have some waves or current? Anything from ride to trolling motor down is what I am looking to get opinions on!

TIA

2. Member
    My 198 rides great but i would not recommend it for big water. Trolling motor down is as good as anything but big water running is another thing. You'll get pounded and wet!

If i fished bigger waters i'd go with a Lund Pro V Bass

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    As always with this question, it depends upon how big the big water is. The RT198 has a very nice ride for an aluminum boat and tracks almost as nicely as a Ranger fiberglass on trolling motor power. Yes, a big deep-V boat like the Lund slices through large waves, but another big factor in smooth rough-water ride is sheer weight. To this end, I have found that when it’s choppy on Lake Erie, filling the livewell before I leave the launch smooths out the ride significantly, even on the bigger fiberglass bass boats. An extra couple of hundred pounds makes a difference.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    I think I will try that John Clark. I’ve had my 198 5 years. Love the boat just wasn’t impressed with the ride in rough water. I can’t wait to try it.