Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I hate to hear this, I wish you luck with your job search!
    As for my advice, here are a few things to consider;

1. File for Unemployment right away.
    2. Check to see if you're able to get benefits through your wife's employer. If you can't, sign up for Cobra right away.
    3. Review and update your resume as needed. If you don't have one, find someone to help you make a good one, it really does make a difference.
    4. Regarding your job search; setup a LinkedIn account and be sure to add your resume information to your profile, it will help you find the right type of open position in your area very quickly.
    5. Sign up with several job posting sites such as Indeed.com and Zip Recruiter. Again, enter your resume information so you can easily apply for open positions.
    6. Keep a spreadsheet of every job you apply for and keep the contact name and email address of every person you hear back from or have an interview with... send "follow up" and "thank you" emails every time.
    7. Lastly, stay positive and don't panic, you'll be okay.

Once you are working again, try to make yourself more prepared for this type of an event, no matter what that might mean to you personally. (some may need a larger emergency savings account, some need to develop a "plan B", some people need to continually network and make new business contacts as you never know where your next job will come from), every person needs something different to be more prepared.

Good luck!

2. Member
    Turn the page, a new and better chapter is coming.

3. Member
    Good luck, there are a lot of jobs out there.

4. Moderator
    There will a better job on the horizon. Open a claim asap.

Hope all works out for you very soon

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. Member
    I think your insurance should carry until the end of the month. Then see about getting onto your wife's insurance if still unemployed. I would file for unemployment now but if like my state you have to wait a week prior to collecting but this at least starts the clock as there is no work around not getting paid the first week. Get your resume up to date if it isn't and then start uploading it to various job search sites like Indeed and Monster.

I can't advise you on what programs to apply to when laid off in the US, but from the human emotional element, don't be afraid to take a month or two off to reset if you can afford it, I am assuming they had to pay you some kind of settlement when you were fired. Anyhow, it's normal especially after working for SO long at the same place that you need some time to reset. When I was let go from my last job after 9 years, the worst part was losing my colleagues and and the familiarity and comfort I had with the building, the commute, the hours etc. Not only that, I had JUST bought my dream home with my wife AND the pandemic started in North America 2 weeks later.

It was devastating to lose my colleagues. It's also normal to relive the moment you were let go... honestly I relived it at night almost on a daily basis for the first month, trying to come to grips with it. I would think what if I did this, what if I thought that, it was really hard to accept it. I would literally wake up at night extremely agitated. Even after a year I would sometimes start thinking about it, it was really hard hitting. It's normal and things will get better. It took me around 5 months to fee normal enough to start looking and I found a great job a month later. It's been 2 years and I'm very happy with where I am.

So take a breath and don't get overwhelmed and it's normal to keep thinking about it and wonder about the "what-if". Push past it and learn from the experience and move on to better things with time and care for yourself. And I know it sounds stupid to say learn from something so awful, but in time you'll find a useful lesson. In my case, it was the first time I had ever lost a job and I learned first hand how devastating it can be to one's self. As a director and leader of people, I believe the experience made me more empathetic to people losing their jobs and pushes me to work harder to turn around under performers instead of just trying to terminate them. I think it made me a better manager and overall person.

Best of luck to you sir, wishing you a new and exciting opportunity soon!

Dan

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Stop, breathe, don't panic, it will be just fine. There's plenty of work out there, everything is good.

Yes, apply immediately for unemployment. In Florida, you'd be turned down for it, but apply now.
    COBRA will apply, it's there regardless of separation cause. Your wife might have cheaper options.
    Immediately suspend all non-essential expenses. Review your savings, budget, etc. and be aware.

If you need a resume done, send me a PM. We can do it as a team. I'm equipped to help you.
    And remember, your wife and kids need you to be calm, reassuring and strong. Keep the spirit.
    Awesome

OP - hope you've already reached out to TJ and best of luck
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

9. Member
    Stop, breathe, don't panic, it will be just fine. There's plenty of work out there, everything is good.

Yes, apply immediately for unemployment. In Florida, you'd be turned down for it, but apply now.
    COBRA will apply, it's there regardless of separation cause. Your wife might have cheaper options.
    Immediately suspend all non-essential expenses. Review your savings, budget, etc. and be aware.

If you need a resume done, send me a PM. We can do it as a team. I'm equipped to help you.
    And remember, your wife and kids need you to be calm, reassuring and strong. Keep the spirit.
    Nice of you to offer assistance!

10. Member

What a good man!

I changed jobs and moved at the start of 2019. Lived in my previous area 35 years and same job for 12. It was a gamble for me, but it paid off in the long run. Change can be very hard, but there are so many opportunities that come from it.
    2019 Ranger Z185
    veteran

11. Banned
    walmart??

12. Member
    I got laid off one time (actually several times), best thing that happened to me

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

13. Member
    File for unemployment and do side jobs for cash.

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    this.... no reason to be married to a job...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

15. Member
    Don think you can collect EDD for being fired for misconduct

16. Member
    Two issues ... if his state is like Florida, there's no check for a termination with cause.
    And you MUST report all earnings, while collecting, which would be deducted as income.
    Better to get up and running, find a position (grocery or retail) and go from there.

17. Member
    Two issues ... if his state is like Florida, there's no check for a termination with cause.
    And you MUST report all earnings, while collecting, which would be deducted as income.
    Better to get up and running, find a position (grocery or retail) and go from there.
    It wouldn't be permanent, just until he can find a better paying job or start his own business.

18. Member
    It wouldn't be permanent, just until he can find a better paying job or start his own business.
    Ah ... a temporary felon, makes much more sense.

19. Member

Depends but he can try. Worst that will happen is an investigation will take place and the request will be denied. He can get paid cash under the table to avoid reporting the earnings and also don't use Paypal and other sites or you will pay taxes on anything earned over $600 for the year.

20. Member
    This is an opportunity to show your wife and kids how strong a man you are, praying you’ll find something quickly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast