Compressor rebuild.

98 200 optimax. #0g752228

Is there a kit or all the parts to rebuild a compressor before it goes out. Bearings ,check valves etc. just thinking ahead thx

2. Member
    I bought a rebuild kit, piston and bearings and rings. I did a trick hone on a 30hr compressor and soaked bearings for a month prior to install. Been great. If unit has a bunch of hours on it I would buy new. But disassembly and inspection is quite easy.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    not available from MERC
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    In my experience the crank journal had failed without noticeable failure of the rod end bearing, which I thought was very strange. One roller element had slight surface putting but they rolled very smoothly. The crank journal had quite a bit of material missing on one section. It was enough to cause noticeable knocking but it never went all the way catastrophically.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    not available from MERC
    +1

Also keep in mind that a failing compressor can potentially take out $4K+ in Direct Injectors.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

Also keep in mind that a failing compressor can potentially take out $4K+ in Direct Injectors.
    Don,

while on this topic. Is there a way to inspect compressors? Is there a designated “engine hour(s)” to replace it? Any tips on catching one about to go bad before it does?
    Last edited by clayc; 01-15-2022 at 04:17 PM.
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

7. Member
    Not don but no prescribed time to replace, some never fail, some last no time, mine did not need it, I just did it to improve hone quality, seems to have worked well. Kit is available from pro marine, if in fact they have any, comes with all O rings. Not something I would recommend with out experience rebuilding stuff. Crank is usually the failure point. Don is right, if it does fail it could cause much more expense. Injector cleaning, rail cleaning etc. buying a new does not guarantee that it won’t fail either. You can replace o rings and inspect if u suspect a problem as long as u have a Manuel to go by, torque wrench and a bit of time to clean and allow bearings to soak…
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is no designated hours or time interval for compressor replacement. I do a basic check of the compressor when I'm servicing an engine (belt off, check bearings/shaft for play, unusual knocks or bearing noise, etc.

Lubricating the compressor when the engine will be sitting for more than a month or so MAY improve the lifespan (corrosion from moisture in the air condenses in a compressor, which can cause corrosion). This is noted in the FAQ Section, Recommended Annual Maintenance..... Post.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor