Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Swapping a 300R for a 250R (need advice)

Gent's,
    I am looking for a little advice.
    I currently have a 2021 Bullet with a Merc 300R on it.
    sadly I can't fish my sons high school league in it because B.A.S.S. sanctioned events limit HP to 250.
    I have found a gentleman that owns a bullet as well and has a 250R on his boat.
    We have worked out a deal to swap engines like for like. Both are 4 strokes.
    My question is, wonder what something like that would cost?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Btw both engines are very low hours.
    One is a 2019 engine and the other is a 2020.
    TIA.

2. Member
    If his 250r has a sportmaster lower unit on it you are going to need to get a torquemaster for it as well so keep that in mind.

3. Member
    If he's running it on The SST that's on your other post it should have a sportmaster on it. The lower unit discussion goes either way depending on who you talk to. I'm pretty sure the R motors are with a sporty from Merc.

4. Member
    Noth engines have sporty's. Why would I need a swap to a TM?
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    If his 250r has a sportmaster lower unit on it you are going to need to get a torquemaster for it as well so keep that in mind.

5. Member
    If your happy with the sporty that's on your boat now I wouldn't change. The tourque master they say carries a load better. On the sst they like to run very high on motor set. The tourque master won't run that high on the transom. I've never set up a xrs for comparison.

6. Member
    Not sure if the xrs is gonna like the 250 with sporty it might but kinda doubt it. I’m in the same boat if it wasn’t for school tournaments mine would have a 300r.
    Bullet 21XRS 250 pro xs serial#2B775575

7. Member
    If you have worked out a deal for an even trade then it won't cost anything. Although I would want a smaller boat if all I could have is a 250. Converting your 250 to a 300 is also an option.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewing View Post
    Noth engines have sporty's. Why would I need a swap to a TM?
    Its not going to like the torquemaster with the 250. Heck my XRS doesn't like the sportmaster with a 300XS, I'm trying to find someone to trade now.

9. Member
    I am a little lost reading this comment.
    Its not going to like the torquemaster with the 250. Heck my XRS doesn't like the sportmaster with a 300XS, I'm trying to find someone to trade now.

10. Member
    The XRS is nose heavy. The sportmaster does not lift it as good as a torquemaster. It is as simple as that. Will it work, yeah, but it isn't going to run as good as it would with a torquemaster.

The XRS is nose heavy. The sportmaster does not lift it as good as a torquemaster. It is as simple as that. Will it work, yeah, but it isn't going to run as good as it would with a torquemaster.
    You must have that thing loaded super heavy. My XRS ran 91 loaded to fish with a 300xs. 89 with 2 people loaded to fish. I wouldn't want to try to run 90 with a torquemaster.

12. Member
    I was wondering. With the 300R my boat was capable of running mid 90's. Going down to a 250R.... I'll be in the mid 80's easy... Got me over here thinking... You mean I can't run mid 80's with a sporty on a XRS???? Bullet 3119, thanks for your sound advice sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet3119 View Post
    You must have that thing loaded super heavy. My XRS ran 91 loaded to fish with a 300xs. 89 with 2 people loaded to fish. I wouldn't want to try to run 90 with a torquemaster.

13. Member
    I ran a 250 2 stroke and a 250 4 stroke on a XRS and the best I could ever get was 80 by myself and 75-77 with 2 people.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Call Tom at Bullet and ask them about the 250R on a XRS. That’s your best bet
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

I was wondering. With the 300R my boat was capable of running mid 90's. Going down to a 250R.... I'll be in the mid 80's easy... Got me over here thinking... You mean I can't run mid 80's with a sporty on a XRS???? Bullet 3119, thanks for your sound advice sir.
    A 250 is going to be 78-80 at best on the XRS. Loaded to fish with 2 people.

16. Member
    I ran a 250XS with a sporty on a 21 XDC, did great until I loaded it down, just was slow out of the hole, but just fine when it got growing

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet3119 View Post
    159lbs last time I weighed my gear and I've probably knocked 10lbs off of it since. Everything that is heavy is in the back. Maybe 15lbs of stuff in the front compartments plus 20ish rods in the box. Helix 12, Garmin 1022, 360 and a 52" ultrex up on the nose, livescope box is in in the starboard rod box. All that is roughly 118lbs. It will go straight just fine, but if I try to turn left at anything over about 35mph it gets hairy.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    If you have worked out a deal for an even trade then it won't cost anything. Although I would want a smaller boat if all I could have is a 250. Converting your 250 to a 300 is also an option.
    I went with a 250R for the same reasons, I fish a lot of tournaments with 250 max hp. I had my 250R flashed a couple years ago before the crack down. They claimed 325hp at the time on the 250R after the flash, I don't have any way to really know the hp gain after, but I did run the boat for about 2 months before the flash, so knew exactly what the boat would do before, after the flash there was no comparison, much stronger, carried a load better, hole shot was better, more RPM, more speed and was able to run more prop, all around improvement (but I'm running a 20xdc).

19. Member
    have a deal worked out with a guy, swapping him my 300R for his 250R. I have the option of running a 28P Bravo with the 250R on my XRS or a 28P 5 Blade PowerTech. Guess, I'll just see which one runs better.

20. Member
    have a deal worked out with a guy, swapping him my 300R for his 250R. I have the option of running a 28P Bravo with the 250R on my XRS or a 28P 5 Blade PowerTech. Guess, I'll just see which one runs better.
    I actually tried both of those props before I had my motor flashed, and the 28P Bravo worked a lot better for me, the Bravo I tried was lab finished.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast