North and South Twin Lakes?

Just booked a place on North Twin Lakes near Phelps for a week this summer, anyone ever fish here for largies or smallies? Looks to be a nice clean lake, I am guessing nice smallies since it appears to be a good walleye lake.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

2. Member
    Either this lake is good and nobody wants to confirm, or it is the Dead Sea and nobody has ever fished it.

Disclaimer: never fished them. The WI DNR lake finder site lists both LM and SM as "Present" for both of them. The other two ratings they use in their lake assessments are "Common" and "Abundant". "Present" is the lowest of the 3 population ratings. Those are admittedly vague but it is at least a starting point.

https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/L...x?wbic=1623800
    https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/L...x?wbic=1623700
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

4. Member
    Macsimus, yes I checked those out. What I find interesting, is lakes that people rave about also typically have bass in the same "present" range. Like Grindstone or Lac Courte Orielles, have the same designation for bass. Already looking forward to checking out the lake for a week this summer on vacation! Has to be a decent bass lake as it appears to be a great walleye lake from recent reports that I read. I bet each species has their own sliding scale for volume of a type of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmastermatt View Post
    Macsimus, yes I checked those out. What I find interesting, is lakes that people rave about also typically have bass in the same "present" range. Like Grindstone or Lac Courte Orielles, have the same designation for bass. Already looking forward to checking out the lake for a week this summer on vacation! Has to be a decent bass lake as it appears to be a great walleye lake from recent reports that I read. I bet each species has their own sliding scale for volume of a type of fish.
    Hope you have a great vacation and whack 'em!
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Never fished the lakes mentioned but have spent some time fishing muskies on Long Lake and Lac Vieux Desert which are nearby lakes. One thing I will say about the town of Phelps tho.. About 12 yrs ago on a Sunday morning I found my gas line on a late 80's Merc was brittle and had cracked. Drove into Phelps and tried the door at Barefoot Marine. Course it was locked. But lo and behold, as we walked back to the truck, a couple guys come by on their way to the lake and ask what we're looking for. One of them worked at Barefoot and he hooked us up with new gas line and we were back on the lake 30 mins later. LOVE the people of Phelps!!

Have a great trip!

Somewhere between here and there, but not in the middle.
    Ok, Ive been on both of these lakes. My father and I have caught a lot of respectable largemouth on South Twin. There also seems to be a healthy population of muskies too. Many large fish following the lures right up to the boat, but not committing to the chomp. Once you get through the narrow connecting area, make sure to trim way up, the water is very different on North Twin. Much much larger and deeper. Not to mention a few degrees cooler. There are many well marked weed bed/shallow areas, points, and ledges. North Twin is a good smallmouth lake. Keep an eye on the weather if your on North Twin, it's a big big body of water.

2007 Legend Alpha 199 / 225 ProXs

8. Member
    Grew up fishing those lakes in the 80s because we had a cottage there, although mainly for musky then. I'd agree with the post above on South Twin and to be careful with the motor in the channel. Most of the bass fishing I've done there in the 4-5 times I've been there in the last few years has been on South Twin, because it's a weedier lake. Vegetations of all kinds, and later in the year there's been solid milfoil on the outside weed edges (unless the lake residents have gotten rid of it, something they attempt to do often but with limited success). We've had a couple of really nice trips there, once for largies and once when the smallies were on the beds, and usually get fish. As far as smallmouth go, as you say North Twin has the forage base to support smallmouth but as far as I know, the bass don't get much pressure and I'm unsure of the population. I never fished the east end of North Twin much, but there are some nice rock humps north and east of the island.

9. Member
    Awesome! Thanks for the background. Should be a good week up there this summer! I like that it is a mixed bag and will love trying for some clear water smallies!

10. Member
    I fish North and South Twin for bass a few times a year. To this day, my best numbers day of smallmouth was on South Twin during the spawn. A lot of 2 pounds with a couple of 4's mixed in. In the summer, i've had good luck with the largies too. Nothing big, but good numbers. North Twin I've had some intermittent luck with smallies and largies, but i haven't spent a ton of time there.

11. Member
    Not far is Kentuck Lake. Good size smallmouth. Muskie.