Thread: carpet cleaning

carpet cleaning

Is the Barbasol method legit/recommended?

And is it safe to use a hard bristle brush to "fluff" the carpet?

2. Member
    I used to flood the carpet, brush, apply water/vinegar, brush again then vacuum. It worked well but was a major chore. I recently got a Bissell Little Green Machine Pro Heat, and it's worked well. It's similar to the first method I mentioned, but you don't flood the carpet and it's neater and quicker.

I've never used Barbasol, but have heard it works good.

3. Member
    I have heard the little Bissell works well too

4. Bobby8
    Vinegar and water here. Use Folex in stains or heavily soiled areas.

5. Member
    For my first 25 years of owning bass boats, I tried and used various methods to clean the carpet. Ten years ago BCB introduced me to the flood, 50/50 vinegar, scrub, flood, and wet vacuum technique. You can "fluff" with a brush after to condition it if you wish. I have used nothing else the past ten years, as it has worked better than any others.

Any cleaning using any kind of soap should be avoided simply because as much as you rinse and think you have it all out, there will always be some residue. Soap residue attracts more dirt, and creates premature wear of the carpet. Although I have not tired the barbasol, it would seem to fit into the "soap" category.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CK11 View Post
    I used to flood the carpet, brush, apply water/vinegar, brush again then vacuum. It worked well but was a major chore. I recently got a Bissell Little Green Machine Pro Heat, and it's worked well. It's similar to the first method I mentioned, but you don't flood the carpet and it's neater and quicker.

I've never used Barbasol, but have heard it works good.
    If that Bissell works, it's worth the price. I'm going to check it out. The flood/brush/water/vinegar/etc is a pain.
    2023 Puma STS

7. Member
    I use the shaving cream method with a bissel. Works incredibly well. My boat see's 100s of miles of gravel roads in a year. After every trip I vacuum the carpet. And twice a season I use the shaving cream method. It does take awhile but it blows my mind how well it works. Maybe I will try the vinegar and water method this year.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    If that Bissell works, it's worth the price. I'm going to check it out. The flood/brush/water/vinegar/etc is a pain.
    It works pretty well, the Bissell cleaning solution is expensive so I've just been using 50/50 vinegar water in the tank. I vacuum the carpet and then saturate it really good with the bissell sprayer, then I brush with a separate brush (not the one on the bissell vacuum head), let is sit a couple minutes then vacuum it up. I have found I can do this pretty quickly and not have to leave my boat in the sun to dry out the carpet. Used to I'd use the flooding method once per summer, now I'll use the bissell throughout the year.

9. Member
    I also use a bissell spot bot a couple times a year. I have also found after fishing in the rain or large waves using the spot bot to suck the water out of the carpet in the cockpit really speeds up the drying process.