Ionic Lithium Starting battery

I ordered a 125ah Ionic for cranking and running my electronics. I know the riff between mercury and lithium but with my outboard having 8 months of warranty left, has anyone actually had a problem with lithiums ever voiding a warranty or messing up an outboard? I'm running a 250 proxs 2 stroke. Ive heard also of possible problems with high amperage coming from alternator on outboards. Does thst apply to the 4 strokes only? I didnt think he 2 stroke alternators were that strong.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Question #1: There is no such thing as "voiding a warranty". If you're in for some moderately heavy reading, look up the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976 (and it's amendments). While a manufacturer cannot "void your warranty" for using something such as this, they CAN deny Warranty Claims for any damage related to, or caused by it. Keep in mind that in some cases, claims might potentially extend beyond a simple mechanical or electrical failure (potentially items such as loss of control and/or damage to persons/property could be involved).

Question #1b: Yes, there have been cases where it resulted in a sudden (and abrupt) loss of propulsion/control.

Question #2: Mercury's bulletin (and revised bulletin) clearly state that Mercury Marine approves the use of WET CELL or AGM batteries for cranking their engines. It then refers you to the engine installation manual for more information.

While the odds of having serious problems with a 2-stroke Optimax are (IMHO) much lower than with (for example) a Fourstroke 150 or higher... it's wise to at least consider the potential problems that the OEM/Manufacturer is concerned about, and that whomever installs a Lithium Battery is accepting any and all risk of damage and/or liability from doing so.

Just some food for thought....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I am running a 125ah Ionic on my 250proxs and have had no issues with it. I run 2 Solix 12s, Solix 15, Mega 360, Garmin 1022 and Livescope.

4. Member
    I ordered a 125ah Ionic for cranking?? You sure that is right?
    BassCat Puma
    250 ProXs
    Humminbird Electronic's
    Helix 12 G4
    Solix 12x2 G3
    Mega 360
    Mega Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex MDI
    Relion Batteries
    Dexter Suspension System

5. Member
    ?

6. Member
    I have been running one for over a year, very pleased
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    I'm using the 125ah Ionic on my two stroke, and I love it.

8. Member
    I to have been using an Ionic 125ah battery on my Pro XS for over 2 years without a hic-up. I got mine from Drew and haven't had any problems with the 3 50ah for the trolling motor or the three locaters/chart plotters which are on the 125ah. Drew is excellent to work with and I have referred 4 of my friends that have purchased the same system and have not had any problems. (3 of them are running Merc 4 strokes and the other a Yamaha)

9. Member
    +1. Got the 125ah from Drew. He answered every question I’ve had same day and once I placed the order I was installing my battery 2 days later.

I have a question on this subject. I was using a friend's Phoenix (@ Rayburn) with a 250 ProXS this weekend when the temps were below freezing. The Ionic batteries were charged and showed no issue, but when I went to start the motor I would get one turn and kill everything. Eventually we had to jump it from his truck, got it started, and no issues the rest of the day. My friend's app showed no issue with the batteries.

Sunday (again below freezing), the same thing happened when I went to turn the motor over and i got one one revolution and all power died. I waited about 15 seconds, got about 5-7 revolutions when I went to started and it fired, and no issues the rest of the day...

11. Member
    Wow

Quote Originally Posted by BassAm View Post
    I have a question on this subject. I was using a friend's Phoenix (@ Rayburn) with a 250 ProXS this weekend when the temps were below freezing. The Ionic batteries were charged and showed no issue, but when I went to start the motor I would get one turn and kill everything. Eventually we had to jump it from his truck, got it started, and no issues the rest of the day. My friend's app showed no issue with the batteries.

Sunday (again below freezing), the same thing happened when I went to turn the motor over and i got one one revolution and all power died. I waited about 15 seconds, got about 5-7 revolutions when I went to started and it fired, and no issues the rest of the day...
    You should start your own thread per request here, but I'd probably start that in electrical trolling motor section.

My advice would be launch the boat, (the water is above freezing turn on the fish finders) start fishing right at the ramp you will find some sweet things or signs of life hints to the day,) then after 30 minutes start the gas motor
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089