Upgrading to hummingbird

Hey guys I知 looking at upgrading electronics. I知 trying to decide between lowrance and hummingbird. What is the difference between the solix and helix? How is the side imaging on the hummingbird? Are hummingbird hard to network?

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    After reading that I definitely think the helix is better. I’m not the best with technology.

4. Member
    Is it possible to link mumminbird and lowrance? Not sure I really want to buy 2 graphs. Also anyway to upgrade to ipilot link without buying a whole new motor? No right?

Quote Originally Posted by Walleyetracker85 View Post
    Is it possible to link mumminbird and lowrance? Not sure I really want to buy 2 graphs. Also anyway to upgrade to ipilot link without buying a whole new motor? No right?
    No, they don't speak the same language.

If your Minnkota is somewhat current, you can change from iPilot to iPilot LINK. I think its about $800 since a different, more sophisticated remote is involved.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I have both. I prefer the Solix. For the ease of the touchscreen to change settings and screens. Its so easy to use.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

7. Member
    Get Garmin units.

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    You also asked about Side Imaging and networking simplicity.

Most people agree that Humminbird has the best SI in the industry. I use it all the time and it does a great job.

As for networking, it's extremely simple. You can network 2 units by running an ethernet cable between them. On the Solix there is a simple Network Sync that you run which automatically sets everything up. If you have more than 2 devices, then you need the Humminbird 5 port Ethernet Switch and each device has an ethernet cable from the device to the switch.

Good luck with your decision!
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Member
    I think I have decided to go with hummingbird. How do I decide what I need as far as transducer for the graph on the bow? I think I知 going to go with a 12 on the console and 9 on the bow.

I think I have decided to go with hummingbird. How do I decide what I need as far as transducer for the graph on the bow? I think I’m going to go with a 12 on the console and 9 on the bow.
    Thank me later. Lowrance for main units and active target, one bird for 360.

11. Member
    No way am I buying 3 units.

No way am I buying 3 units.
    than stick with lowrance

13. Member
    Well now that we know what wheeler did for 2021, wonder what his thoughts are in 2022.
    Considering his opening statement of mixing and matching everything.
    Nothing new here Blurrn!

14. Member
    Why do you say that? I知 brand new to side imaging and down imaging. I致e always just ran the 2d sonar. Everybody says hummingbird blows lowrance down and side imaging out of the water. I知 thinking for a newbie that better picture might be better.

15. Member
    So this is going to be a long post so sorry for that. I ended up buying a lowrance elite 7 that went on the bow last fall. I bought a hds gen 3 7 for the console with side and down imaging. Then I am running a gen 1 hds 5 on the console for mapping purposes only. I kind of settled on the two 7s because we were going to only have the boat another year or two. My dad is actually the guy that owns the boat. I’m the guy who uses the electronics all the time. I bet my dad couldn’t even turn a unit on. With that said he lost his job in December and my parents financial situation changed drastically. Therefore he will no longer be upgrading boats at this point. I don’t see myself being happy with those 7s long term so I bought a hds gen 3 9 for the bow and was going to buy a 12 for the console.
    I have always been a 2d sonar guy with no down or side imaging. Everybody tells me the hummingbird blows Lowrance side and down imaging out of the water. I think with me being a newbie the better picture might be best. So I’m thinking of going with the helix 9 on the bow and 12 on the console. What is the difference between the gen3 and gen 4? Also with the bow one exactly what do I need as far as transducer for a minnkota Terrova? What is the difference between the 360 mega and just the regular mega? What is the a good used price for a helix 9 and 12? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

16. Member
    Walleye, I didn't mean to confuse you. The wheeler post was basically what Lowrance fans say, and humminbird fans say. If you listen to high speed wheeler, he explains it. The side image of HB beats everyone's. I get great DI and SI from my HB solix gen 2. I only run 1 bow and 1 console both solix.
    If you look at most events on TV and on line, most pros have a M360. The M is for mega frequency used for better detail. Stay away from the old plain 360, it is obsolete and won't be supported in the near future. The Introduction of HB mega live forward sonar has folks arguing which is best. The differences In generation #'s marks the newer units. My 2019 solix's are both out of production, while still supported by HB, they are moving towards the obsolete shelf also. It's like cell phones and PC's you buy one and 6 months later it's old technology. The transducer for the Terrova is your choice in what you want for your bow 2D, Si or Di. If your going to use M360, I would suggest Gen 4 on helix.

This is my opinion, just like wheelers, his reason was lowrance's waypoint management and getting it onto a computer for management. Anytime you mix different brand sonar units, you will have some problems to work out.
    It's a expensive habit to supply. I wish your father good luck & you should make sure he goes fishing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Well now that we know what wheeler did for 2021, wonder what his thoughts are in 2022.
    Considering his opening statement of mixing and matching everything.
    Nothing new here Blurrn!
    same setup as last year. Lowrance and active target and a 360. He also didn’t just say he uses it for the “way point management”, he made multiple points. Reality is these units are all pretty good. But Lowrance lower end units “Elites” are touch screens and work really well. You just can’t beat them!

i also have both brands on my boat, so I am inclined in my opinion. He asked, I answered. TIFWIW
    Last edited by BLuRRnAWAY; 02-12-2022 at 02:58 PM.

18. Member
    I think I have decided to go with hummingbird. How do I decide what I need as far as transducer for the graph on the bow? I think I’m going to go with a 12 on the console and 9 on the bow.
    You might consider getting 2 10s. The larger screen at bow provides a better view for split screens.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLuRRnAWAY View Post
    same setup as last year. Lowrance and active target and a 360. He also didn’t just say he uses it for the “way point management”, he made multiple points. Reality is these units are all pretty good. But Lowrance lower end units “Elites” are touch screens and work really well. You just can’t beat them!

i also have both brands on my boat, so I am inclined in my opinion. He asked, I answered. TIFWIW
    No problems here blurr, I like opinions about all of them. The more you hear, the more you can apply. These are very evolving products. It gets more exciting every day. I can't wait to get my Mega Live in the water soon. I'll have a bunch of days mid March at fork for a great testing experience. Come on March!