Flipping/Pitching a Rage Menace Grub

I've noticed Mark Rose pitching a Rage Menace grub on TV recently. How many of you guys are using it and what size. I have a decent supply of the original size but haven't bought any of the magnum size. What hook and weight are you using and how does it fish compared to the beaver style or Zoom U vibe craws. My favorite bait is the Rage Space Monkey and I have been using the Rage Bug. Just wondering how many are fishing the Rage grub as a flipping bait.

2. Member
    I’ve pitched the regular size around wood and docks with good success. 3/0 EWG hook with a 1/4-5/16 oz tungsten is my rig.

Also want to try the magnum.

3. Member
    I've used the mag rage menace on a Tokyo rig with a 3/8 ounce weight. It works. I like the rage menace because you can put it on almost anything. Saves me from buying a bunch of different trailers. Also works really well in regular size on just a plain 1/4 jighead.

4. Member
    Ive used it just texas rigged .they eat it just fine

I like to drag it on a wobble head for pre-spawn fish.

6. Member
    The menace grub is probably my most used soft plastic. Jig trailer, texas rigged, wobble head, on a swimbait head. If I'm texas rigging it I usually use a 3/0 ringed EWG.

That bait is super versatile. Setsail and dylanl nailed it - you can do anything with it. When I've seen Rose pitching and flipping it, he Texas rigs it and fishes it just like most people would fish a beaver-style bait. For Texas rigging, I've always just put the smaller one on a 2/0 EWG or straight shank, the regular size 4/0 EWG or 4/0 straight shank. I never tried the magnum version so can't give first-hand experience though I can't imagine a 4/0 straight shank wouldn't work.

I usually throw it with 1/4 or 3/8 oz weight, particularly when casting it but also when pitching it around vegetation or lighter to moderate wood cover. I've actually gone to 1/8 oz pitching around heavier, shallower wood cover with good success. I think part of that is it's less prone to snagging, though I think there's something to the slower rate of fall too. I also like to rig it up on a punch-style rig and pitch it around in grass on 3/4 oz; in the south, I think they'd call that technique "dropping grass."

I think the Menace has a few things going for it different than the baits the OP is primarily using. It's still got the kicking action, but definitely more subtle than the Rage Craw or Space Monkey. Because of that and its slimmer profile, it's a much quicker, straighter fall and a more streamlined movement going into and out of cover. Realistically the action is somewhere between a beaver and those baits, but closer to the beaver in my opinion.

It was always right up there as my most used swim jig trailer, Texas rig bait, wobble head bait, etc. along with the Zoom Z-craw (Jr. version is the one I used most often). Then Z-Man came out with their Goat which I think aims straight at the same market as the aforementioned baits and it's kind of taken over in those places for me simply due to its durability and bouyancy. It will actually float a heavy wire flipping hook, plus it will last through dozens of fish catches. If you do decide to try it, just be sure to rig it on a straight shank anytime you're Texas rigging it as Elaztech will ball up on an EWG.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360