how much hydraulic steering fluid?

I wound up having a seal on my SeaStar hydraulic steering start leaking towards the end of this past season, so before the ice comes off in a few months I'm going to drain the fluid, replace the seals, and then refill and bleed. I have ordered everything I need, but I only wound up buying 1 quart of the SeaStar hydraulic fluid. Anyone know if this will be enough? I'm estimating the line going from the steering column back to the steering system is around 8-10 feet, if that helps. As expensive as the SeaStar hydraulic fluid is, I don't want to purchase another quart unless I know I'm going to need it since whatever doesn't get used will most likely go to waste. Having never done this project before, I have no idea how much fluid it actually takes. The video I watched of a guy replacing the seals and refilling and bleeding, the guy appeared to get by with only one quart, but that could have just been editing. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Next time, purchase AeroShell Fluid 41. Retail it's gonna probably be about $12-13/quart.
    Will let one of the DIY guys to come along to assist with a proper service procedure.

3. Member
    If you are just replacing the outside seals,Both sides you can get away easy with less than a quart.
    Probably a pint

4. Member
    I replaced the cylinder seals on my seastar system last spring and didnt even use half of the quart. I didnt turn the wheel at all until it was time to bleed and lost very little fluid.
    Hope this helps
    2004 ChampioN 188 Elite
    2004 Evinrude 200 DI

5. Member
    I gotta change my fluid. Accidentally added L.U oil instead of steering fluid, steering effort quite high in the cold, as could be expected with 80/w/90 instead. Couldn't find the aviation fluid locally so ordered Quicksilver Power trim and steering quarts.

6. Member
    For future reference, anyone wanting/needing it ...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...shell_bflu.php

Another option ...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...s66XC5606H.php

7. Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I am replacing the two end caps and seals, but the seal kit I bought is also coming with some other seals, like the bleeder valve seals, so I’ll probably replace them as well. Considering that I have no idea if/when any maintenance was last done on the hydraulic steering (I’ve owned the boat for 5 years and haven’t done anything during that time), I plan to drain the existing hydraulic fluid out completely and replace it with new.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    For future reference, anyone wanting/needing it ...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...shell_bflu.php

Another option ...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...s66XC5606H.php
    I was at their website earlier but they wanted me to set up a password etc. and I'm just topped out on that stuff, so I just ordered Quicksilver. My shipping's free and I didn't check theirs.

If it helps and if I remember correct, new system comes with 2 quarts and I believe I used a little over one quart when I installed mine new and after filling and bleeding.

10. Member
    Thanks for posting these links, got 2 quarts shipped for price of 1 quart of seastar fluid.
    2012 Ranger Z521
    2012 ProXS 250