National Boat Covers and Trailering?

Hey guys,

Sorry to make another boat cover thread but I need to purchase a boat cover for a 08 Bass Cat. The boat is still in Texas and I'm having it shipped/trailered to me in Southern California. Unfortunately, it does not come with the factory Bass Cat cover. I would love to have an Aurora cover but the custom made ones are going to take too long and their clearance section doesn't have a particular fit for my Cougar with a 52" shaft ultrex.

I came across https://www.nationalboatcovers.com/y...22--WIDTH.html after seeing some recommendations for National Boat Covers. Does anyone have experience with these covers and trailering for 1500 miles? I'm concerned about getting a ton of scratches on my boat as it is a long haul. I called and spoke with a sales rep and he said it will not scratch but I'm still skeptical as I always hear stories about boat covers scratching boats during trailering. I also would like to have a good cover to use as my boat will have to be stored outdoors in the So Cal sun.

Any input/recommendations? Need something in stock and ready to ship out.

Bass Cat sells the dust covers that they use to ship the boats with. Give them a call they will hook you up. They usually have all models in stock.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiMonster View Post
    Hey guys,

Sorry to make another boat cover thread but I need to purchase a boat cover for a 08 Bass Cat. The boat is still in Texas and I'm having it shipped/trailered to me in Southern California. Unfortunately, it does not come with the factory Bass Cat cover. I would love to have an Aurora cover but the custom made ones are going to take too long and their clearance section doesn't have a particular fit for my Cougar with a 52" shaft ultrex.

I came across https://www.nationalboatcovers.com/y...22--WIDTH.html after seeing some recommendations for National Boat Covers. Does anyone have experience with these covers and trailering for 1500 miles? I'm concerned about getting a ton of scratches on my boat as it is a long haul. I called and spoke with a sales rep and he said it will not scratch but I'm still skeptical as I always hear stories about boat covers scratching boats during trailering. I also would like to have a good cover to use as my boat will have to be stored outdoors in the So Cal sun.

I have one of there covers, very nice cover for the money. I don't trailer with it though. Not that I'd be afraid to I just don't do that long of hauls that require a cover.

4. Member
    Which cover/fabric did you go with? Is the fabric nice and soft underneath?

5. Member
    Hey guys,

Trailering with a cover can do more than scratch the boat. More like tie down straps (even when twisted) chewing through rub rails and gel coat , and the movement/vibration of the cover on edges of seats, windshield, and cowling can make a mess.

If you really need to cover while trailering, I would sugguest wrapping any surfaces that may touch the cover with packaging wrap (industrial duty Saran wrap) really really well.

6. Member
    What about a shrink wrap for the journey?
    Former Owner of a 2007 Ranger 180 VS 150 2 Stroke Vmax

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Which cover/fabric did you go with? Is the fabric nice and soft underneath?
    windstorm elite no not soft at all

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    Bass Cat sells the dust covers that they use to ship the boats with. Give them a call they will hook you up. They usually have all models in stock.
    This X 100.

9. Member
    Thanks guys. Ordered the bass cat dust cover.

I'll look into ordering a nicer custom Aurora when I get the boat locally.

I’ve got an aurora cover custom from the factory. Since I’ve added dual graphs upfront & mega 360. It’s still fits and I also trailer with it. I don’t think a 52” vs “ 45 will prevent the cover from working it may not be custom for the boat. The cover has a little give in them.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

If you’re going to trailer long distances with a cover spend the money and get a custom Aurora. I have one for my 07 Sabre FTD. Any time I’m going to travel with the cover I break out the stretch wrap. Plain Saran Wrap will work, but 12” - 15” stretch wrap on a roller handle is quicker. Start at the bow and wrap the top cap 2 times around of using Saran Wrap. Overlap the wrap so it’s double thick right of the top edge of the top cap. One wrap will work if you use heavy stretch wrap. The cover does the most rubbing on the top cap and rub rail when you’re traveling. You can buy 1000’ rolls on Amazon for $10-15 per roll. That should last years. As for straps, I put duct tape or stretch wrap around the straps where they contact the square edge of the hull before wrapping around the bottom. Then they get twisted a few times. It’s really not that much trouble once you’ve figured it out a couple of times.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Member
    Thanks guys. Ordered the bass cat dust cover.

I'll look into ordering a nicer custom Aurora when I get the boat locally.
    Good call. When you get her home and get a custom cover made, there are materials now that have a flocking on the back and will not scratch your hull. Sunbrella Supreme is one such fabric. Don’t let dirt accumulate underneath around tight areas that make contact. They should also be able to make it strapless for you. I have had three Aurora covers for my previous BCB’s and they were very good. For my present rig, my dealer suggested I let his canvas maker fab a cover before I took delivery. Frankly, it is a little better fit than the others were.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    If you’re going to trailer long distances with a cover spend the money and get a custom Aurora. I have one for my 07 Sabre FTD. Any time I’m going to travel with the cover I break out the stretch wrap. Plain Saran Wrap will work, but 12” - 15” stretch wrap on a roller handle is quicker. Start at the bow and wrap the top cap 2 times around of using Saran Wrap. Overlap the wrap so it’s double thick right of the top edge of the top cap. One wrap will work if you use heavy stretch wrap. The cover does the most rubbing on the top cap and rub rail when you’re traveling. You can buy 1000’ rolls on Amazon for $10-15 per roll. That should last years. As for straps, I put duct tape or stretch wrap around the straps where they contact the square edge of the hull before wrapping around the bottom. Then they get twisted a few times. It’s really not that much trouble once you’ve figured it out a couple of times.
    Problem is it's too long of a wait for a custom Aurora cover. And if I'm going to spend over 600 for a cover, I want one that fits my boat well, not the ones that may fit ok. I need the cover soon as it will be shipped from Texas to me in about a week or so. I called bass cat and they said to use the dust cover for now and get the Aurora later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinoh View Post
    What about a shrink wrap for the journey?
    ^ This
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

15. Member
    I own a National Cover "Sunbrella" 10 year warranty for my triton. It lists as tailorable.. I'm not sure i would trailer with it however. It would probably handle with all the straps in place.. But just doesn't feel suited for it to me. Its a fine cover for the money. I'm just not sure I'd trust it for that.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Gray View Post
    I own a National Cover "Sunbrella" 10 year warranty for my triton. It lists as tailorable.. I'm not sure i would trailer with it however. It would probably handle with all the straps in place.. But just doesn't feel suited for it to me. Its a fine cover for the money. I'm just not sure I'd trust it for that.
    Yea I called them and they claimed all of their covers are trailerable but I'm not convinced.

My Aurora is Sunbrella and I tow with it no problem. The sunbrella is made right down the street in Glen Raven NC
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi