Thread: Bait

Bait

live or soft plastic what do you like i like mousies thats just me, and if you bait live bait do you order online or local

O and where is the best place to shop online for jigs and such

2. Member
    Live bait for me. Mousies are definitely preferred but hard to come by so 90% of the time I’m using spikes. I’ve tried plastics, like atomic nuggets, atomic wedgees, and gulp but I like live bait so much better. For minnows I prefer blue nose minnows, sometimes theyre called hunts.. always buy from a local shop
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    For most panfish I like live wax worms. Thought about ordering in bulk but since there is a pet store 3 miles away I just buy them as I need them. 25 costs me like $3 and since the lady who owns it is rather easy on the eyes I dont mind shopping local.
    Shiners I trap myself out of my pond on my property and keep in a 100 gal stock tank in my basement with a bubbler and filter set up. Best thing I've ever done in terms of ice fishing.
    Jigs and other tackle I like to buy from fishusa or reeds. Seem to have the best selection. Our local bass pro had a great selection in November when we had no ice. Now that we actually have ice they are pretty much sold out.

4. Member
    It is a very rare occasion when I use live bait. There are instances under extreme conditions where spikes will outperform plastics, but they don't happen very often. I have been a big fan of plastics thru the ice for years and years. So much so, that I designed and cut a custom mold for my own soft plastic bait for panfish thru the ice, and they have been used in some of the biggest ice tournament circuits with very good results. I have a couple more molds coming as well that I bought from Angling AI to make a bait very similar to the Little Atom Micro Nuggie. For the first 6 years or so of ice fishing with plastics, that was my absolute go-to bait, and 90% of the time it was black. Black is a very good color thru the ice, it is the first thing I throw every time out as it will give me a good idea of how aggressive the fish are. I will adjust based on feedback from the fish, other colors I like a lot are blood red, motor oil, white, and wonderbread.

5. Member
    Tom
    i remember you posting about having this mold cut roughly how big is that piece of plastic and what size heads do you use

6. Member
    I usually run it on 3mm or 4mm tungsten jigs, or something like the Clam Drop Kick. The bait measures in at 1 5/16" long with a soft whip tail, really nice swimming action. Not cheap to cut a mold, whew.