Does anyone feel the Loomis GCX is worth $250?

Last year G loomis discontinued their entry level E6X rod line at the $220 price point and introduced the GCX @$250. There is a thread here discussing the changes but basically, it amounts to a slight upgrade in components and a price increase of their entry level product.

Given the impending price increase (from $199 to $250) from Megabass of their Levante line, the "gateway" cost of fishing with these brands just gone up but more importantly, does anyone feel it's worth it?

Is Zodias going to become the de facto "entry-level" of the premier brands?..

2. Member
    Zodias is a better rod/value to me than gcx

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos18xl View Post
    Zodias is a better rod/value to me than gcx
    previously when they were the same price? or now at the $200 vs $250 price?..

what if Shimano increases the Zodias to $250? still the same equation or does everyone go looking for the new alternative at $200?

in other words, will people follow the price up, or will something else fill this void? is $200 the price/performance/value ceiling?..
    Last edited by ra2bach; 01-13-2022 at 09:24 AM.

4. Member
    I really feel like some of these brands are just capitalizing on their name. The E6X to GCX conversion is a prime example (product quality increase doesn't match the price increase.)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
    I really feel like some of these brands are just capitalizing on their name. The E6X to GCX conversion is a prime example (product quality increase doesn't match the price increase.)
    Kistler is another example. They’ve increased prices every year and the components either stay the same or are downgraded. They don’t even use US made blanks anymore yet the prices keep climbing. They aren’t worth full retail but if you can grab them when they have a great sale then it’s worth it
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    I'm a "rod nut" and I work at BPS so I get to compare many different rods. No, I think the GCX is a nice rod but if it didn't carry the Loomis brand you could never sell it for $250.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
    I agree to an extent. I remember E6X being a $200 rod but when I went looking for them they were all priced at $220. Do I not remember correctly, or were they really that price all along?..

if so, that represents a price increase in the E6X near the end of their product life. that's interesting. obviously Loomis had the GCX intro at its current price in mind quite some time before E6X was dropped.

I suppose we could all argue whether the E6X was a good value @ $200 (or at $220) but in my mind, the GCX @$250 still doesn't equal a good value even if it is an upgrade over the previous entry level.

and that's my question - where do we go from here? do we accept that everything's going up and chase these prices, or do we look for the next best value at the $200 price point?..

8. Member
    Personally look for the next best value at $200.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I'm a "rod nut" and I work at BPS so I get to compare many different rods. No, I think the GCX is a nice rod but if it didn't carry the Loomis brand you could never sell it for $250.
    OK so where do you think we go from here? Do you have Shimano at BPS? I remember seeing the "old" Curado rods there, do you carry the newer upgraded model? what's your opinion on those?

seems like lot of rod at $160 with K-series tangle-free guides, CI4+ reel seat and Power-X technology on the blank. to my eye these look very similar to a rebadged version of the old Zodias...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    OK so where do you think we go from here? Do you have Shimano at BPS? I remember seeing the "old" Curado rods there, do you carry the newer upgraded model? what's your opinion on those?

seems like lot of rod at $160 with K-series tangle-free guides, CI4+ reel seat and Power-X technology on the blank. to my eye these look very similar to a rebadged version of the old Zodias...
    We don't get many Shimano rods at BPS, but I would buy a Zodias over the Loomis GCX. The new Curado looks very similar to the Zodias and it looks like a great value, assuming the price doesn't suddenly increase. I would also buy the St. Croix Victory over the GCX. I think the higher end Loomis rods are great but I don't see the value in the GCX series.

11. Member
    I’m a big fan of the new Curado rods. Played with 2 of them my friend got late last season and I loved ‘em. Much nicer and more balanced than the previous Curado series rods, of which I tried 2 but sold.

The new Curado feels so close to a Zodias. I’m a big fan in general of Shimanos mid priced rods. I find they are usually an exceptional value.
    As for the E6x..those rods felt like $50 rods. I doubt it would be much better relabelled.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I agree to an extent. I remember E6X being a $200 rod but when I went looking for them they were all priced at $220. Do I not remember correctly, or were they really that price all along?..

if so, that represents a price increase in the E6X near the end of their product life. that's interesting. obviously Loomis had the GCX intro at its current price in mind quite some time before E6X was dropped.
    They were between $190 and $200 here in 2020 when I bought 2 when Academy had them half off, so you're remembering correct. Didn't care for the casting rod I got and much preferred my Tatula and Tatula elite rods. Kept the spinning rod for a dedicated popping cork rod for chasing redfish and speckled trout, otherwise I would've got rid of it as well.

13. Member
    In my personal opinion, you don’t get the true Loomis quality into you step into the GLX rods and above. Even those rods are getting harder to justify with price increases and lots of other great options on the market.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatHead1313 View Post
    They were between $190 and $200 here in 2020 when I bought 2 when Academy had them half off, so you're remembering correct. Didn't care for the casting rod I got and much preferred my Tatula and Tatula elite rods. Kept the spinning rod for a dedicated popping cork rod for chasing redfish and speckled trout, otherwise I would've got rid of it as well.
    Yeah I picked up a couple at that Academy sale. I think they're a great $100 rod...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 by 3 View Post
    In my personal opinion, you don’t get the true Loomis quality into you step into the GLX rods and above. Even those rods are getting harder to justify with price increases and lots of other great options on the market.
    Probably. those are the rods I think of when I think of Loomis quality/feel but I do think my 845 IMX Pro is a very good rod...

16. Member
    If you want that crisp feel, balance and bend that comes with Loomis rods, the GCX could be what you're looking for. I picked up two E6X rods last year, a 852s and 802s and I've been happy with both. Every time I look at Shimano rods, they don't quite have the same kind of feel or balance. The E6X rods I have are really fun to fish with and I actually think the E6X 852s is better than the GLX 852s I have in some ways. Not the sensitivity, but it seems to be a much better casting rod and it's slightly more fun and easier to fish with. It seems like I have to cast the GLX 852s really hard to get it as far as I can get with an crisp and medium to medium hard cast with the E6X 852s.

Had a chance to hold a GCX 854 in my hands a few days ago,,, holding one and fishing one is two very different things I know but to be honest I really don't see 250 for this rod,, I did not have a scale but it felt very heavy to me ,and the guides and cork did not seem like nothing special , ,,,, To be truthful I would not pay over 150 for this rod and this is coming from an admitted Loomis fanboy ,,,, maybe I would feel different if I fished one but right now I think you would be better off with a Dobyns Sierra