VST Filter Replacement Frequency

Hi

OT847960 2004 225XL Optimax

is there a recommended frequency for replacement of the VST fuel filter? I replaced last year (as I didn’t know when it was past replaced) but didn’t see it listed in the FAQs here and its not listed as a service item in the service manual.

thanks

2. Member
    It's in this topic, right below the blue text "Air Compressor Strainer Cleaning Instructions" - Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

Replace water separating filter (inspect for water and debris)
    *While filter is out.... it's a good idea to add about 2 tsp of Quickleen & 2 tsp of Mercury Quickstore to the filter housing. Pump primer bulb firm, and run engine for at least 5 minutes on flush attachment.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be "Once per YEAR or 100 hours of operation.

So for most, that's at least once every 364.99 days. If you run your boat a lot, you might hit 100 hours first.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for the clarifications. I had read and incorrectly interpreted that was linked to the external fuel/water separator and filter.