Shimano Curado for Crankbait

All my current reels are Lews, but decided to crossover to the dark side and buy a Shimano. Bought the Curado MGL 150 (8:1:1) as a walking bait/ topwater reel. Looking at buying another Curado for cranking but not sure if I should get the 150 MGL or the 200 K. Lowest gear for try 150 is 6 while the 200 drops to 5, but also offers a 6 gear ratio. I also don’t want to have to buy two reels for mid and deep cranking. Would like a ratio which would be nominal for both…if that is possible. So what would you experts recommend the 150 or the 200 and what gear ratio? Thanks! Jake

I'd pick whichever you like better in the 6:1 and call it good. That ratio is the happy medium IMO for mid/deep and is what I use now, if I'm only carrying one cranking rod. If you're concerned with getting a deep diver out there as far as you can though, the 200 will give you that extra line capacity. Personally, I'd probably go with the 200 for that reason and it'll still handle smaller/lighter stuff just fine. For doing a lot of deep cranking though, I'd want that 5:1 and probably a longer handle. My 1st gen Revo Winch is still in my rotation for that purpose.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 481VSangler View Post
    I'd pick whichever you like better in the 6:1 and call it good. That ratio is the happy medium IMO for mid/deep and is what I use now, if I'm only carrying one cranking rod. If you're concerned with getting a deep diver out there as far as you can though, the 200 will give you that extra line capacity. Personally, I'd probably go with the 200 for that reason and it'll still handle smaller/lighter stuff just fine. For doing a lot of deep cranking though, I'd want that 5:1 and probably a longer handle. My 1st gen Revo Winch is still in my rotation for that purpose.
    I agree with most of the above... The only thoughts I differ on is the 200 v. 150. If you are looking to throw some smaller, lighter weight cranks the 150 might handle that task better than the 200 but still be able to throw a heavier deeper diving crank sufficiently.

4. Member
    The 150 has a smaller diameter spool than the 200 so its IPT will a bit less than the 200 in a given ratio. (IE the 5:1 200 is rated at 21" per turn, the 6.2 200 is 26" per turn. The 6.2 150 is 24" per turn so right in between the two 200k models). I just got a 150 a few weeks ago and it's casting is impressive, if you throw any smaller (1/4oz or less) cranks then id go with the 150. I can get amazing distance with little 5g duo realis 40f crank on the 150 and 12lb line.

Capacity hasn't been an issue but I'm not launching 10XDs on big line with it. But for big baits I step up to around a big luna 253 for big swim/cranks

Quote Originally Posted by BassDaggett View Post
    I agree with most of the above... The only thoughts I differ on is the 200 v. 150. If you are looking to throw some smaller, lighter weight cranks the 150 might handle that task better than the 200 but still be able to throw a heavier deeper diving crank sufficiently.
    Yeah, I should've been a little more specific on the smaller/lighter aspect. Was thinking relative to the deeper cranks, down to say a DT4 or something that's still 1/4oz or higher. Anything in that 1/4oz or less range that would see regular use, I would want the 150. I'll go down to 3/16oz on my 200K at times, but definitely sacrifice some distance depending on the bait.

6. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I opted for the 150 over the 200. Depending on how it performs I will get a 200K.

7. Member
    Welcome to the light!
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target