Battery tender question

Can I use one battery tender for more than a single battery and if so what's the best way to connect them ? I bring them in for the winter storage season . Three deep cycle lead/acid interstates is what I have currently .

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Do you not have electricity where you keep the boat?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter64 View Post
    Can I use one battery tender for more than a single battery and if so what's the best way to connect them ? I bring them in for the winter storage season . Three deep cycle lead/acid interstates is what I have currently .
    Probably not the way to go. One battery might have a problem and cause issues. Better to move it from one to the other. Maybe monthly? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    Unfortunately no , it's in a far back pasture barn and at buddies farm . So i pull out everything and throw it in my basement . I'll throw a charger on them about once a month to bring them up full but thought it might be easier to put a tender on them just wanted to see.if I need three or if a can get away with a single one and wire them in parallel ?

5. Member
    That's kinda what I thought Bob but was hoping for some kinda miracle answer !Lol . Thanks

6. Member
    There should be nil problems powering multiple batteries in parallel with a Battery Tender. Particularly if all are charged to begin with and you are using the Tender to just keep them charged.

The Tenders come with differing outputs. If you are paralleling multiple batteries and you want them to be charged by the Tender, then it is merely a function of current flow and time.

Current flow will be low. Seems that you will have plenty of time.

7. Member
    Will the tender shut off if one of the batteries has an issue or will it continue to put out a charging current. One on one it can recognize problems.

I'd move the onboard charger with the batteries and then you'll have the best of both worlds. I'd leave it on charge 24/7, just check the water once a month or more.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Will the tender shut off if one of the batteries has an issue or will it continue to put out a charging current. One on one it can recognize problems.
    It will not shut off. One battery, two batteries, three batteries... Does not matter.

What is meant by one on one it can recognize problems?

10. Member
    Looked into a smart tender with 3or4 banks . Gonna check it out at bass pro this weekend otherwise I'm gonna hook up in parallel and try that . Thanks all !

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter64 View Post
    Looked into a smart tender with 3or4 banks . Gonna check it out at bass pro this weekend otherwise I'm gonna hook up in parallel and try that . Thanks all !
    I've had great success with this charger.
    Make sure you read about how to properly charge each battery before hooking up in parallel.

https://www.batteryminders.com/batte...er-desulfator/

Pleas let me know how it turns out if you go this direction.

12. Member
    If you read the batteryminder manual, page 22. You will see that the batteries have to pass an extensive test to ensure they are all of equal capacity and condition to charge them together. It is a list of the reasons why it is risky to charge multiples together. Be careful out there! JMO Bob
    Link to manual: https://www.batteryminders.com/conte...2%20010516.pdf

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I'd move the onboard charger with the batteries and then you'll have the best of both worlds. I'd leave it on charge 24/7, just check the water once a month or more.
    Agree. If you are going to the trouble of removing the batteries how much more trouble is it to remove the charger also?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    It will not shut off. One battery, two batteries, three batteries... Does not matter.

What is meant by one on one it can recognize problems?
    Maybe wrong word. Replace problem with conditions like fully charged. If all hooked together all must be fully charged before it goes to float or completely shut down. There will never be a group of batteries in the same condition or capacity. Perhaps reason why they have chargers with totally separate chargers for each battery. Would be way cheaper to have one circuit with multiple leads. JMO Bob

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Maybe wrong word. Replace problem with conditions like fully charged. If all hooked together all must be fully charged before it goes to float or completely shut down. There will never be a group of batteries in the same condition or capacity. Perhaps reason why they have chargers with totally separate chargers for each battery. Would be way cheaper to have one circuit with multiple leads. JMO Bob
    I have been in the laboratory. Playing. With a Battery Tender charging batteries. And a group 65 flooded lead acid starting battery.

The Tender has a higher initial charging voltage (maybe 14.3 volts or so). When the battery shows as being charged it drops to 13.3 volts. When the voltage is at 13.3 the current flow drops to .055 amps and stays there.

What I then did is to connect a constant voltage power source to the fully charged battery. Set it at 14.5 volts. After a period of time the current flow stabilized at .161 amps.

My question is, will a battery being connected to a constant voltage charger, outputting .106 more amps than it normally would, be harmful to the battery? No gassing was noted by the way.