Ionic 125 Starting Battery - Any Cons?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Ionic 125ah Starting battery with built in heater. My setup is MK 460 Charger and starting a 2016 250 ProXS 2 stroke. While running Garmin LS LVS32 Box and 1222 Graph, (2) 12" Carbons, 9" HDS Gen 2 touch, along with pumps, etc.

My question is; I've heard mostly only good things on these batteries. Are there any negatives? My outboard still has warranty on it so I dont want to mess anything up there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    I go tired of running out of power on any of the group 31 batts (I run 2 LiveScope systems along with all the others stuff everyone runs and I added a iconic as my cranking battery and lowest I’ve seen at days end is 60%

So I’m happy.

3. Member
    There is a video on Youtube that I found interesting about Ionic. I do not know if the quality of the battery tested is across the board on all of their batteries but I think it is an honest review. If I were buying a battery today, I would look real hard at the competitors and see how they compare.

For some reason the link will not show up in the post. Look up Ice Hole Power IONIC 12Ah LiFeP04 Teardown and Review
    Last edited by troutspinner; 01-11-2022 at 05:53 PM.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    So you gonna compare a 12ah battery that's used in kids hot wheel cars to a 125ah battery that starts engines??? Geeze....

To the OP, there are no cons......I have the 100ah starting battery and can't find any issues.....also double check me but I don't think your current charger will work with the Li battery.....I think it need to be the MK PC charger
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    I believe the 460 is a PC model.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    It is

7. Member
    I have a complete Ionic set-up, 125AH cranking, three 50AH's for the 36v trolling motor, and the Ionic 4-bank charger. I run four 12" units, livescope, livewells recirc and aeration, power poles etc. and the 125AH may get down to the low 80% after a full day of fishing. I've had this set-up for almost two years now with ZERO issues. I would not hesitate to by them again. Also remember proper wiring is as important as your power source.

8. Member
    I guess you missed the part where I said that I do not know if it goes across the line.

9. Member
    ?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
    I guess you missed the part where I said that I do not know if it goes across the line.
    I looked at the video. My comment would be that this does not look to be a mass produced battery. It does not even have a case that was made for it. In fact I am pretty sure the Ionic line is made with prismatic cells. Not 26650's. So in my opinion, it does not share the characteristic build of Ionic marine batteries other than the Bluetooth interface. No dog in this fight. I have Relion batteries I got several years ago. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I looked at the video. My comment would be that this does not look to be a mass produced battery. It does not even have a case that was made for it. In fact I am pretty sure the Ionic line is made with prismatic cells. Not 26650's. So in my opinion, it does not share the characteristic build of Ionic marine batteries other than the Bluetooth interface. No dog in this fight. I have Relion batteries I got several years ago. JMO Bob
    Me either with the dog. I am not brand loyal. Just an observation that I thought I would share since the OP specifically stated a brand and I’ve watched many lithium tear downs so it triggered my brain to mention it in hopes to help him make a decision one way or the other.

Like Hooked I have the full set of Ionics with a 125 as the cranking battery

I can say I lost over 100 pounds by just using the 125 because before that I had to run a 5 battery system

I no longer have any power issues with the 4 graphs and LS system

by adding the 3 50ah trolling batteries I lost another 100 pounds

Only thing I did different is I'm switching to a 3 bank charger for the TM batteries and a single bank for the cranking battery because I want to get the most out of each cycle and depending on if its tournament days or just fishing I can get a different number of trips out of the batteries and want to charge them accordingly
    "The handicapped angler"

13. Member
    No cons.......Better than any other start battery that I've owned......I can't kill it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    I have a complete Ionic set-up, 125AH cranking, three 50AH's for the 36v trolling motor, and the Ionic 4-bank charger. I run four 12" units, livescope, livewells recirc and aeration, power poles etc. and the 125AH may get down to the low 80% after a full day of fishing. I've had this set-up for almost two years now with ZERO issues. I would not hesitate to by them again. Also remember proper wiring is as important as your power source.
    Pretty much my exact setup. I’m running the PowerPole Charge as well, not a single complaint!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired