Ionic 125 Starting Battery - Any Cons?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Ionic 125ah Starting battery with built in heater. My setup is MK 460 Charger and starting a 2016 250 ProXS 2 stroke. While running Garmin LS LVS32 Box and 1222 Graph, (2) 12" Carbons, 9" HDS Gen 2 touch, along with pumps, etc. My question is; I've heard mostly all good things on these batteries. Are there any negatives? My outboard still has warranty on it so I dont want to mess anything up there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    $$$$$$

3. Member
    I run a 2012 225 ProXS, three gps units (Ti12, Gen 3 touch and Gen 2 non touch) and all pumps, etc and have yet to run the 125 ah below 87% charged in a full 10 hour day of fishing. That’s without a whole lot of running and recharging time. This battery definitely works for me. I haven’t found any downside yet.

Mercury does not recommend any lithium batteries for the starting/cranking battery. If there appears to be warranty related damage due to the use of lithium batteries, Mercury will most likely deny the claim. There have been multiple posts about this.

Many risk it and have no issues but if it were me and I still had warranty left, lithium would not be used for my cranking battery.

If you have the room, I recommend adding the lithium to use only for the electronics. Keep the engine and the pumps on the cranking battery.

Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    Mercury does not recommend any lithium batteries for the starting/cranking battery. If there appears to be warranty related damage due to the use of lithium batteries, Mercury will most likely deny the claim. There have been multiple posts about this.

Many risk it and have no issues but if it were me and I still had warranty left, lithium would not be used for my cranking battery.

If you have the room, I recommend adding the lithium to use only for the electronics. Keep the engine and the pumps on the cranking battery.
    Mercury’s most current statement on lithium start batteries has been discussed in detail in another thread. A number of top tier lithium suppliers, Ionic, Impulse, and Dakota to name a few, have develop a BMS that has resolved the issue Mercury refers to. The reports of issues among BBC members who run a Mercury and a LifePO4 cranker are pretty much non-existent.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post

If I were to try a lithium battery with a Mercury motor I would want to do it while the motor is under warranty. If something fails, there is a chance that Mercury will cover it.

If it fails when the motor is out of warranty, then there is no chance at all. It will all be on the user. Keep the odds in your favor.

Why keep the pumps on the starting battery? Greater chance of running the battery down to the point where it might not crank and start the motor. If on a lithium house battery that battery can be depleted to exhaustion. Motor can be cranked and started on the start battery. Motor up and running can then recharge the lithium battery.