Thread: Spring bobbers

Spring bobbers

So boredom has set in at work

what is everyone thought on these are they a gimmick or is there a rime and reason for them, i always thought they was useless

FYI more post to come

2. Member
    There is a time and place. For rods that don't utilize a built in soft tip or spring bobber, an aftermarket spring bobber can help detect bites. The most common bite detected with a spring bobber is an up-bite of a crappie. Your bait will slightly load a spring bobber if you are using the right sized spring and jig, and when a crappie bites they are generally going to be pointing upwards and will most often unload the spring just slightly, or if they are really aggressive completely knock slack in your line. When you see that bobber unload, it indicates a bite and you set the hook and reel em up.

Some rods like the Power Noodle I mentioned in the other post have a very soft tip, which essentially acts like a spring bobber but it is integral to the rod. It works the same way though, your jig will slightly load the rod tip while working the bait, and when you see it unload you slam it home. It also works great for finicky bluegill bites as their is so little resistance at the tip of the rod that they can suck the bait in and not feel the rod load up, watch for the second tick and set the hook. With enough experience you will be able to tell the difference between a bluegill, crappie, and perch when they eat the lure.

3. Member
    Thanks Tom. i will have to think up another question for tomorrow

4. Member
    I stopped using them the day nothing was working and the spring never moved.. I sat the rod down and ate a candy bar after about 5 hours. A few minutes later I noticed a sliver of ice on the line, looked like it moved but at first I had to blink my eyes to focus. Lift the rod up and had a pound gill. Then another one. After that I started using the rubber bobber stop instead of the spring, and set the bobber the depth you need. Always back at the depth you caught the last one. Just use a little caution when the bobber comes thru the tip guide.

5. Member
    I am going to give one a try but make my own from ink pin spring

6. Member
    If you ever fish when crappie are biting lite you will be glad you have one crappie always bite up and detecting the spring moving up is the key