New 250 4 stroke vs racing motor

What's the difference between a new 250 4 stroke and a 4 stroke R?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Primary differences are the mounts, gearcase, and cost of Product Protection Plans (there are a few other subtle ones but those are the major items).

Moving this thread to the 4-Stroke forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Sorry about posting on the wrong page.
    What would be the drawbacks on mounting one on a 21ft Phoenix? If any. What are the plus's?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    Sorry about posting on the wrong page.
    What would be the drawbacks on mounting one on a 21ft Phoenix? If any. What are the plus's?
    HP on the reg XS and the R are the same, no improvement. On the 250R the redline is only 6200 same as the XS. The R comes with a sportmaster lower which you do not need, you will loose performance over a TM lower since you will not be running anywhere near 85+, Warranty is only 3yrs, extd plan is 2-3 times higher than extd plan for reg xs. There is no plus for your situation.

Have to agree with above post. My guess is the 250 <Pro> XS will run just as good or maybe better than the 250R on That boat.. Seen several times where an R motor was bought, and the owner wound up eating the SM lower and buying a new TM.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-12-2022 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Clarification- "Pro" XS

Good info. I asked because I'm hearing the R motors are more available than the XS. 3 months versus close to a year.
    Thanks.

7. Member
    If the boat can accept a 300R (assuming the delivery time is far less as mentioned), you can order a 300R with either the Sportsmaster or the Torquemaster Gen 2, whereas the Torquemaster is not available with the 250R. I own a 300R with the Torquemaster but it is on a slow boat (about 76 mph).

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glenn- don't know that I would call that "slow" (sure is alot better than it used to be)!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    If the boat can accept a 300R (assuming the delivery time is far less as mentioned), you can order a 300R with either the Sportsmaster or the Torquemaster Gen 2, whereas the Torquemaster is not available with the 250R. I own a 300R with the Torquemaster but it is on a slow boat (about 76 mph).
    What boat do you have ? It took me 8 months to get a boat with a 300R, I think the R motor takes longer to get the the Pro xs.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think there's a lot of conjecture about "which engine takes longer to get".

In reality, it's just as much "which engine was already ordered by "X-Dealer" or "Y-Manufacturer"" meaning it's already in the lineup of engines to be built, reducing the wait time.

That doesn't mean that there aren't times when a particular engine model is hitting the production line, with low enough numbers slotted that one or two get added to fill orders (rather than waiting weeks or months for the next run of that model). May also apply to similar models as well.

So the key here is talk to YOUR selling dealer about YOUR engine order. They are best equipped to communicate what THEY can provide you (with a reasonable guesstimate of "when" as well).

11. Member
    I have a 2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare. I picked it up at the factory in OH around Oct 2019 and ordered it in April or May of 2019. When I ordered it, I had the choice of a 300ProXS, or a 300R or a 400R, because Checkmate had ordered a certain amount of engines which they had in stock to "sell" with boats that they were building that year. My friend who passed away recently, ordered the same boat as mine but a bow rider and he ordered it with a 300 ProXS. 1 - 2 months later he changed his mind and wanted a 300R and Checkmate told him it would be well over a 6 month wait, but a couple months before the boat was done, Checkmate "found" a 300R at their parent company's Hustler boat facility so he ended up with a 300R by the skin of this teeth.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Glenn- don't know that I would call that "slow" (sure is alot better than it used to be)!
    Since this is mainly a bass boat forum, I believe any bass boats with a 300R are much faster than 76 mph.

Since this is mainly a bass boat forum, I believe any bass boats with a 300R are much faster than 76 mph.
    One of my best friends owns a Ranger dealership.
    He was devastated-- when he couldn't get his 300Xs equipped big Rangers to run over mid 70's.
    I don't see how the 300R on those rigs would have made much difference even with a TM lower unit.

Just saying.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This section is a "Mercury" forum... lots of folks here that run Bassboats, and lots that run something else. BTW- That is one sweet rig you have!

15. Member
    Thanks for the kind words, Don. I read about Eyra bass boats with the same engine running high 80's to high 90's as well as a few other bass boats so that was what I based my comments on. For readers, I was initially not thrilled with my 300R, and Don traced the misfire to a defective injector harness on #7 cylinder. He diagnosed the issue, in less than 10 minutes idling on the hose!
    Before the misfire it ran about 72 mph with a 24P Bravo FS in 65*F weather. After the misfire it was even worse and would not pull over 5500 rpm. After Don went through it, it ran 73 mph with the 24P FS prop in 80*F weather. I changed to a 24P ProMax prop and ran 76 mph but in 58*F weather. So thanks to Don, it performed similar to identical boats with the same engine. So I decided to keep it after all, and purchase an extended service contract from Don.

The 2400 is a great boat, its the big brother to our brx2000. For comparison, ours runs about 65 with the 200.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    One of my best friends owns a Ranger dealership.
    He was devastated-- when he couldn't get his 300Xs equipped big Rangers to run over mid 70's.
    I don't see how the 300R on those rigs would have made much difference even with a TM lower unit.

Just saying.
    I went from a 2 stroke 225 EFI to a 300R with TM on my Nitro 911CDC running a 27p Tempest and went from 66 mph to 82 mph.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    I went from a 2 stroke 225 EFI to a 300R with TM on my Nitro 911CDC running a 27p Tempest and went from 66 mph to 82 mph.
    Wow!

19. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    What was your WOT rpms at 82 mph?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    What was your WOT rpms at 82 mph?
    6320 RPM
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors