Brake Dust Problem

Hey guys, the brake dust on my skeeter boat trailer is terrible, and it’s driving me crazy. Have any of y’all found a brake pad I can replace them with that doesn't make as much dust. If not what’s a good spray on rinse off wheel cleaner?

2. Member
    You probably already know this and have checked, but if the brake dust is really bad it could mean that your brake calipers are sticking. An easy way to check for this is to feel how hot your brake hubs after towing. They should be warm, but not crazy hot. I had brake pads sticking on my trailer last year and I could feel the heat on my face before even touching the rims.

I can’t help with keeping the brake dust off from normal use. I’ll be interested in seeing other responses on this because it bothers me too.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    You probably already know this and have checked, but if the brake dust is really bad it could mean that your brake calipers are sticking. An easy way to check for this is to feel how hot your brake hubs after towing. They should be warm, but not crazy hot. I had brake pads sticking on my trailer last year and I could feel the heat on my face before even touching the rims.

I can’t help with keeping the brake dust off from normal use. I’ll be interested in seeing other responses on this because it bothers me too.
    Thank for the tip, I actually haven’t thought about that I’ll have to check, didn’t expect that from a new boat. It’s a skeeter Fxr and it’s even getting the dust up on the fiberglass fenders

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Also check that the breakaway cable hasn’t been pulled.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    I have noticed mine doing the same. During long trips I always walk around the trailer when I stop and check all hubs for heat and always end up with brake dust on my hands. The hubs have never been hot, just slightly warm. I kept expecting it to fade away as I put a few miles on it but after a year I am still getting dust.
    2021 Skeeter ZXR-21 with 250 Yamaha SHO, Pro II Power Poles, Atlas Hydro Jack Plate

6. Member
    100% Ceramic pads if you can find them, and these

Mr. Gasket 6905 - Mr. Gasket Wheel Dust Shields