Mercury 40 Fuel lines

2004 Mercury 40ELPTO SN OT825987

I have a friend that has this motor on his Tracker, he started replacing fuel lines when one ruptured.
    He asked me for help so I started looking for parts, and reading here for answers. The problem is this, all the parts I find, such as a couple molded hoses because of the fitment where it all has to go, and the fuel filter itself are 5/16. But on his motor everything up from the fuel pump is 3/8, including the filter, and the filter looks to me to be an aftermarket, because I can't find it anywhere in Mercury parts, it is a 90DEG not straight thru. I have asked and he swears the fuel pump exit fitting is 3/8 also. Is this possible? I understand all the lines and filters could have been replaced with 3/8, but for what purpose? And how can the fuel pump fitting be 3/8, when all the new ones are 5/16? He wants it all back to original so any help would be greatly appreciated

Pic of the filter on it now
    17359.jpeg

2. Member
    well BOB order him a new complete pump, hoses , and the OEM filter that came on it original and compare all this will be 5/16 , ques. does main body of pump have molded fitting for outlet or threaded in removeable fitting , that filter did not come on it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    well BOB order him a new complete pump, hoses , and the OEM filter that came on it original and compare all this will be 5/16 , ques. does main body of pump have molded fitting for outlet or threaded in removeable fitting , that filter did not come on it

Thanks again Joe, that's what I will do, just order him all the hoses, filter and the fuel pump.
    That way he won't have to worry about it, be like new again. That is what happens when you buy used stuff, it ran good until the one line broke, then we found out the previous owner did go much for factory parts, just what ever he could find

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to order the engine-side parts BY ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be sure to order the engine-side parts BY ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER.
    Gotcha, thanks

6. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    2004 Mercury 40ELPTO SN OT825987

Well, we got all the fuel system rebuilt and now my buddy wants to put new plugs in it while it's handy, so I looked them up.

Any reason why, and how do you choose between 5 different spark plugs that it shows for that motor. I have always been one to try and put in what is supposed to be there, not just what was already there mainly because the previous owner could have had the wrong parts in it.

But being here in central Florida, which would be the correct choice? normal amount of idling, not a troller.

20220119_151605.jpg

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the emissions decal on the engine. It states the plug specific for that model (should be BPZ8HN-10).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks, we will look for it. Should still be there it's a really clean motor. If not then we will just use what you said....

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check the emissions decal on the engine. It states the plug specific for that model (should be BPZ8HN-10).
    Found the sticker and was able to read it all, that spark plug number you gave us was spot on - thanks again

11. Member
    ^^^^^^ +1 def most common plug used on that mtr