Best 1/2 oz jig for wood

Looking for a jig that is great at coming up, over, and through laydowns and brush in 1-8 feet of water. What are you guys throwing?

2. Member
    I use the Boss Dock Knocker and the Boss Gary Klein Heavy Cover jig. I just buy the 4 pack and throw my own skirts on. Both are great in wood imo. And actually are both good in rock. The Dock Knocker definitely hangs up in grass more though

3. Member
    Thanks Tyler! I just looked those up on Tackle Warehouse and like what I see and the reviews are great as well. Unfortunately they're out of stock right now in the 1/2 oz size, but considering it will be a while before I'm on the water, hopefully I'll be able to grab some before Spring.

4. Member
    Yep I always have a stock of them in black and green pumpkin. Make them as I need

5. Member
    Siebert outdoors dredge. I was using the Boss Gary Klein but found the were hanging up alot. I also have been adding the Brush Bands from Game Changer Lures but seems they might not be made anymore. It is basically a heavy rubber band to split the weed gaurd. The combination of the 2 has significantly cut down on my jig hang ups.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

6. Member
    Not sure what would be better design for brush and wood. I threw the original rattleback jig everywhere. Weeds, brush,wood,pads. Never an issue. I'd say tie on whatever you got and throw it in there.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

7. Member
    Trashmaster, it is the only jig I throw in wood cover now. All the others I have tried get hung up too easily. A Trashmaster with a Zoom super speed craw or Z craw comes through wood cover just like a Texas rig, a simple yet very effective design.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Not sure what would be better design for brush and wood. I threw the original rattleback jig everywhere. Weeds, brush,wood,pads. Never an issue. I'd say tie on whatever you got and throw it in there.
    The ones I have, from various manufacturers, are just not cutting it. I'm getting hung up way too much. I think I've figured out the problem though. The jigs I use have the line tie in line with the hook. I think I need to use one with the perpendicular line tie. I just watched a video the other day about jigs and the guy was saying that for going through wood, a perpendicular line tie is a must in order to make it much less apt to snag.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    The ones I have, from various manufacturers, are just not cutting it. I'm getting hung up way too much. I think I've figured out the problem though. The jigs I use have the line tie in line with the hook. I think I need to use one with the perpendicular line tie. I just watched a video the other day about jigs and the guy was saying that for going through wood, a perpendicular line tie is a must in order to make it much less apt to snag.
    Like someone said above, try the Trashmaster Jig, I hung so many jigs in brush and wood that I quit fishing them around that type of cover and switched to using Texas rigs all the time instead. I got a Trashmaster in a mystery Tacklebox and man than thing worked great around wood cover, I bought several more and I still haven't hung any of them up yet.

10. Member
    I'll give you my rattlebacks if you wanna try them. Pm me.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Trashmaster, it is the only jig I throw in wood cover now. All the others I have tried get hung up too easily. A Trashmaster with a Zoom super speed craw or Z craw comes through wood cover just like a Texas rig, a simple yet very effective design.
    I've almost bit on those jigs many times as they look like they'd come through both wood and grass very well, but always stop short as I've seen quite a few reviews from people complaining about poor hook-ups with them. What are your thoughts on that? I'm guessing it must not be an issue for you given that you like them...Does it compare to a normal jig in that realm, or is there anything you need to be cognizant of to ensure good hookups?

Part of me thinks that a lot of those Karl's customers are fairly novice (which I think is great--whatever your opinion on Catch Co/Googan brands, it's tough to argue with their success getting new people fishing) which makes me wonder whether these are just people who don't know how to set the hook with a jig. Even so, it sowed enough doubt that I never bit the bullet on them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I am a big fan of NuTech jigs, they are excellent at coming through wood cover, much better than any fiber weedguard jig. They also have excellent hooks, that are stout and sharp. They do cost a bit more, but worth it IMO. Sadly, the owner and creator of NuTech passed away recently, but the web site is still up and running and it looks like you can still order directly from them. TW carries them, but has stocking issues.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've almost bit on those jigs many times as they look like they'd come through both wood and grass very well, but always stop short as I've seen quite a few reviews from people complaining about poor hook-ups with them. What are your thoughts on that? I'm guessing it must not be an issue for you given that you like them...Does it compare to a normal jig in that realm, or is there anything you need to be cognizant of to ensure good hookups?

Part of me thinks that a lot of those Karl's customers are fairly novice (which I think is great--whatever your opinion on Catch Co/Googan brands, it's tough to argue with their success getting new people fishing) which makes me wonder whether these are just people who don't know how to set the hook with a jig. Even so, it sowed enough doubt that I never bit the bullet on them.
    They have a heavy wire hook which can be good or bad compared to how you look at it. If you are using a medium action rod with mono or floro it will be harder to drive the hook in. I fish them on a 7'3" heavy action rod with either 50 lb braid or 20-25lb copolymer and I don't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I am a big fan of NuTech jigs, they are excellent at coming through wood cover, much better than any fiber weedguard jig. They also have excellent hooks, that are stout and sharp. They do cost a bit more, but worth it IMO. Sadly, the owner and creator of NuTech passed away recently, but the web site is still up and running and it looks like you can still order directly from them. TW carries them, but has stocking issues.
    That doesn't seem like a big deal. I suppose my bigger concern was the EWG bend which I don't think lends itself to great hookup percentages anyhow being shielded further by the jighead. Sounds like that's not a big deal though! Thanks for the info.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    correct! I think the perpendicular line tie will help. Also, 1/2oz is fairly heavy in 1-8 feet, unless you are just needing a fast fall rate.

16. Member
    TNT Wadda jigs.