Thread: Umbrella rig

Umbrella rig

Anyone know the law on how many hooks you can use. Anyplace prohibited . Heard cant use at Newton but cant find for sure

2. Member
    Tournament guys say it's a no-no, but a Game Warden told me you can fish it with 2 hooks at Newton.

2 hooks and the rest dummies. We fish them all year Winter at Clinton and Newton except for tournaments because most have a rule. We usually put a regular 4” swim bait on the hooks and 4-5” grub on the dummies..they almost always grab the swim bait.

4. Member
    Thanks to both of you. I'm at Newton now. Furnace gave me a start for a moment finally came on. Hope they are munching tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Thanks to both of you. I'm at Newton now. Furnace gave me a start for a moment finally came on. Hope they are munching tomorrow
    I hope you crack 'em Joe!! Be safe out there!!

6. Member
    In Illinois as was mentioned, 2 hooks is the safe play. Some allow three, but not worth the chance. It seems that someone always barks at me anyway, like it's a forbidden technique despite my 2 hooks. To echo Philly's advice, I'll put 3.8's on the dummies and 4.3's on the hooks. Based on your rig, try to put the hooks on the bottom wires as these fish are typically grabbing the low hanging fruit, or the trailing bait.

7. Member
    My understanding is that the number of hooks allowed on an A-rig is based on which lakes have the "2 hooks 2 poles" regulation. That info can be found on the IDNR website. At Coffeen, and I'm pretty sure Shelbyville, you can use 5 hooks... but don't tell the Warden who fines you that I said it's OK. lol

8. Member
    I see you mentioned your furnace. Was that your motorhome I saw at Newton today?

9. Member
    Yep stayed Tuesday night idled up hot the plant was down. Stopped at overflow zip stayed up in the clearest water I could find stuck 7 good ones on a deep jerk. One over 5 had a recently broken off black and blue 1/2 oz jig the kind with double rattles and a screw trailer attachment. Mouth was chewed up pretty good . line broke right above the knot. Trailer gone. Bet that one weighed 9# by the time they got home. In their defense she was a fighter and hungry to have a jig stuck and still hammer a jerkbait. Ended with 11

Yep stayed Tuesday night idled up hot the plant was down. Stopped at overflow zip stayed up in the clearest water I could find stuck 7 good ones on a deep jerk. One over 5 had a recently broken off black and blue 1/2 oz jig the kind with double rattles and a screw trailer attachment. Mouth was chewed up pretty good . line broke right above the knot. Trailer gone. Bet that one weighed 9# by the time they got home. In their defense she was a fighter and hungry to have a jig stuck and still hammer a jerkbait. Ended with 11
    I'm glad to hear that you caught some Joe!! Great job!