Thread: perfects rod

perfects rod

with no ice and being board my brain got to thinking what would make the prefect rod for pan fish in a shanty. such as handle type, guides, hook keeper, length, action and so forth

2. Member
    Alot depends on what type of shanty you have. I have a frabill flip over and up 2 man and it is tight fishing. My hub house I could use a 6 ft rod if I wanted. I mostly fish for panfish and my 2 most favorite rods are from tuned up custom rods. Both are 28", split shaft. Dont really think split shaft makes a difference. The Precision I use for jigging spoons/ raps etc, it is super sensitive with a good backbone. The other is a bull whip, more of a noodle style rod but style extremely sensitive. That is my crappie smasher as it has enough give to not tear a crappies mouth apart. But still has backbone enough to land even 3lb bass. Next rod I get will be a precision noodle for those real tiny tungsten jigs for gills.

3. Member
    I never could find a rod with the right action. So I ordered the lightest action micro light from bass pro and took a hack saw to it, and put a TN cork handle on it. Perfect, at least for what I wanted it for. . Then I ordered some more a bit heavier action for jigging rapalas.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 01-13-2022 at 08:42 AM.

4. Member
    Really depends on the type of jig you’re using.. it’s just like bass fishing, base it on the type of baits you’re using, species and application.

my favorite production rod is a Frabill bro series 36” quick tip. That’s great for heavier Hali’s and pimples.

for Tungsten jigs I prefer a basskhang panfish noodle. That one is 36” too. It’s good for sitting in a shanty and standing but up closer I’d prefer a 24”. The panfish noodle is a bit too light for heavier jigs.

I like traditional ring stripper guides going to fly or recoil guides towards the top half.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    For fishing outside I like a little bit longer rod, but for in a fish house I generally want something in the 24-28" range. I think the perfect inside panfish rod would be a 28" Thorne Bros Powernoodle with the Recoil titanium guides and a 4" cork handle. It can easily double as a rod for use outside, but works great inside a shack as well. I have 6 Powernoodles ranging from 22-32" in length with both Fuji inside guides as well as the Recoil guides for fishing outside. Every one of them has a fly reel attached and line ranging from 2-4 lb test.