Can Humminbitd units use a NMEA2K GPS/Heading Sensor as heading sensor input?

Hello, I am trying to only install one heading sensor on my boat. I have a mixed Humminbird/Garmin installation.

It would make the most sense for me to install one of the NMEA2k heading sensors so that all my electronics can get this position/heading data from the NMEA2k bus.

Specifically in my case, I am looking for the solix g3 10" screens to use data from a Garmin 24xd on the NMEA2k network vs directly connected Humminbird Heading Sensor.

Thanks!

I’d be curious to the answer as well

But even if it is compatible you’re not going to get better accuracy due to the solix’s limitations

solix doesn't use Galileo2 or BeiDou2 and the speed rate would be limited by the solix’s system

And solix uses the older WAAS and not the Multi-SBAS so you may even lose some accuracy
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Roy, I have seen the Chinese "BeiDou2" is more visible from low earth orbit, but had not seen it was an advantage from the planet. If you have a reference please send me a link. Thanks Bob
    A side note I found doing some research on the subject. Satellite wars? https://www.voanews.com/a/east-asia-...s/6192460.html
    Last edited by bobcoy; 01-10-2022 at 04:07 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    I don't understand how I would lose accuracy if I can set the solix to use the NMEA2k gps/heading as location/heading data. I am looking to use an external GPS and heading sensor, but over the NMEA2k network.

Quote Originally Posted by hans1159 View Post
    I don't understand how I would lose accuracy if I can set the solix to use the NMEA2k gps/heading as location/heading data. I am looking to use an external GPS and heading sensor, but over the NMEA2k network.
    It looks like the 24XD Uses Multi-SBAS (Multi-functional Satellite Augmentation System )and no longer uses WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) The Solix uses WAAS and not Multi-SBAS

These systems update the data of each satellite

See our GPS network of satellites aren’t perfect and they drift a little or have weak signals these systems like WAAS consists of multiple ground reference stations positioned across the U.S. that monitor GPS satellite data and corrects for these errors giving you a more precise location

If the 24XD doesn’t provide this older data to the solix you could get less accurate location data
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    I guess I was assuming, maybe incorrectly, that the garmin 24xd puck would calculate the actual position and heading and transmit that "answer" across the NMEA2k bus in a message frame 10 times per second vs. the raw satellite data. I searched and couldn't find the answer to this detail on what actually gets sent from puck to the NMEA2k network.

7. Member
    It looks like the jury is split on getting the Lowrance Point 1 NMEA2k GPS/Heading to function as the Heading choice on the Solix units. A search here for that found many threads, some positive, some negative. That Point 1 should be similar to the Garmin 24xd in that they are NMEA2k networked. I already have the garmin 24xd and am trying to avoid both the extra puck mounted on the boat and the extra cost, more so the holes. My only cost to try this will be to hook a Solix up to the Nmea2k network.

Quote Originally Posted by hans1159 View Post
    It looks like the jury is split on getting the Lowrance Point 1 NMEA2k GPS/Heading to function as the Heading choice on the Solix units. A search here for that found many threads, some positive, some negative. That Point 1 should be similar to the Garmin 24xd in that they are NMEA2k networked. I already have the garmin 24xd and am trying to avoid both the extra puck mounted on the boat and the extra cost, more so the holes. My only cost to try this will be to hook a Solix up to the Nmea2k network.
    Then I say try it and see
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    I am just waiting on my boat....I have all my electronics and am trying to have everything I need to get my installs done in a weekend. I don't have a delivery date and expect it to possibly just barely make our fishing opener in MN, maybe best case.

I tried getting a point 1 to work with my solix. Never could make it work. Sold it and installed the AS-GPSHS.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I thought I remembered that Wayne had indicated that you could use the Point1 with Solix so I did a simple forum search and came up with the following thread:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=point1+solix

Maybe, Wayne will chime in if anything has changed from that August 2021 post.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I thought I remembered that Wayne had indicated that you could use the Point1 with Solix so I did a simple forum search and came up with the following thread:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=point1+solix

Maybe, Wayne will chime in if anything has changed from that August 2021 post.

I think the deal is you cannot calibrate a network heading sensor with a Humminbird. BUT if it was used with another brand and calibrated, then used with a Humminbird, it will work.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I think the deal is you cannot calibrate a network heading sensor with a Humminbird. BUT if it was used with another brand and calibrated, then used with a Humminbird, it will work.
    with that said he could calibrate the sensor via his garmin graph but the question still stands if the HB graphs can access the GPS/heading data

You’re venturing into uncharted territory and the only way to know is try it and see
    "The handicapped angler"

14. Member
    As soon as my new boat comes in, I will be testing this out. I will be trying it with 2 HDS 12 Lives, a Helix 12 Gen4 and a Garmin Ultra 126. My goal is to get all to sue the point one. I don't care if I have to calibrate using my Lowrance units as the one lowrance will be at my dash anyways next to the bird.

Could be a little bit though on my testing. Its Jan here in MN and my new boat hasn't arrived yet, nor has any of my graphs I have had on order since July lol
    NPAA #803

15. Member
    As soon as my new boat comes in, I will be testing this out. I will be trying it with 2 HDS 12 Lives, a Helix 12 Gen4 and a Garmin Ultra 126. My goal is to get all to use the point one. I don't care if I have to calibrate using my Lowrance units as the one Lowrance will be at my dash anyways next to the bird. All units will be on the NMEA network.

Could be a little bit though on my testing. Its Jan here in MN and my new boat hasn't arrived yet, nor has any of my graphs I have had on order since July lol
    NPAA #803