Oil use in Mercury EFI

Hi everyone, I’m curious if you guys think my motor is consuming the appropriate amount of oil. I have a 2001 Mercury 175 EFI #0T273433. I don’t usually make long runs, usually less than 5 total miles for a day of fishing, and I have probably added oil to reservoir only a few times in the last 4 years (fish somewhat often). The motor had a total rebuild and no alarms or signs to note. It just seems that it should consume more oil than it does and wanting your thoughts.

Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil delivery is variable, and is based on engine RPM's and throttle position (primarily). Depending on how you operate the boat, the actual "usage" ratio could be anywhere between 50:1 and approximately 75:1.

I'm moving your thread to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    My 93 uses about the same. Most I drive might be 10 miles. Don't really use more than a gallon or two a year, if that.

4. Member
    ^^^^^^ both working as designed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks everyone, I figured with my driving habits it was about right. I simply started to think about the few times a added oil and had me wondering.

6. Member
    I bought my boat new back in 1997 with a 175 EFI. It is definitely a sipper when it comes to oil use.