Which Lower Unit do I have?

Serial #: 1B555160

The motor is a 2008 225 Pro XS. It came on the boat I bought back in May. It’s been missing the circular anode under the anti-vent plate since I bought it. I just got around to ordering one and searched the serial number to get the appropriate anode. In my search, i found that it looks like this motor was supposed to have a torquemaster lower, but I thought all torquemasters were silver. The lower on my motor is black. Also, it has the external lower unit fluid fill/drain hole on the side of the lower instead of it being behind the prop.

So could anyone tell me if the previous owner put a different lower unit on this motor or am I misinterpreting something?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    G1 TM Gearcase. They were originally BLACK (silver started showing up on the ProXS G1-TM in the later part of 2011, as I recall).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks, Don. I'd like to revisit this for a second. Besides the color of the lower unit, the other thing that makes me think this lower is not original is that the gear lube fill port is external (port side of lower unit) below the vent hole. Per this thread that is in the FAQ's (http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22039) it says that the fill port should be behind the prop and thrust washer. Am I misinterpreting something?

4. Member
    not misinterpreting , bet it doesnt have 1.25 in propshaft either, its a standard 3.0L gearcase
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ This. Someone has likely installed the older Standard (Servicemaster) gearcase, or worse yet, an aftermarket.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    ^^^^ This. Someone has likely installed the older Standard (Servicemaster) gearcase, or worse yet, an aftermarket.
    Anything I should be checking or worrying about?

7. Member
    Look at the 4 low water pickups in the nose from the front and see if they are staggered or inline up and down.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the gearcase is a Standard (OEM) or aftermarket, it will likely not stand up to the torque these engines put out. Mercury did not use the Standard (Servicemaster) gearcase on the 225 or 250 ProXS engines (at all).

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Look at the 4 low water pickups in the nose from the front and see if they are staggered or inline up and down.
    They are staggered.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    They are staggered.
    That would be a aftermarket SEI unit then.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS