Jerkbaits.....something has changed....

I switched a few years ago to using a spinning rod for jerkbaits...going over some notes...and I noticed I have caught less fish using jerkbaits. I was thinking that imparting action may have changed....and I got to thinking that maybe a CoPoly might be something to try. A bit more stretch but not as much as mono. for a more natural action....Thoughts? CoPoly reccomendation?
    Last edited by BassVoodoo; 01-09-2022 at 04:41 PM.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

2. Member
    I am using kastking and love it.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I use PLine CXX in 12lb for my jerkbait fishing. I do use casting gear (6’6 m/f, 7.5 reel) but once I started using the CXX I knew I found my jerkbait line!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    I am using kastking and love it.
    Kastking makes line?

5. Member
    I use gamma polyclear for my jerkbaits on both spinning and casting gear.

6. Member
    Braid to leader on all my jerkbait setups. 15lb Power Pro to 10 lb Seaguar Red Label, Gold Label or Tatsu depending on what I have in the boat that day....

I echo the braid to leader suggestion! It makes it so much easier to leave noticeable slack in the line and snap it to get that erratic action out of the bait.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Switch back to casting and your attack numbers will improve!

All jokes aside, I attempt to figure out the spinning rod jerkbait bite every year. I like the idea of throwing them on 6lb line and the more finesse approach. Without fail it never works for me. I have no idea what it is, probably majority confidence, but I simply can't make it work. I always end up going back to a casting rod and 10lb flouro.

9. Member
    My 2 cents - your reeling and jerking hands are out of sync with spinning gear, and you're not moving the JB crisply enough bc you're not hitting it perfectly off slack (and maybe pulling it tad instead of stopping it dead).

When I use spinning for JBs I don't even try to reel through the jerks - just pick up slack afterwards with the handle. Some people are coordinated enough to make either setup work perfectly - I am not one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    I switched a few years ago to using a spinning rod for jerkbaits...going over some notes...and I noticed I have caught less fish using jerkbaits. I was thinking that imparting action may have changed....and I got to thinking that maybe a CoPoly might be something to try. A bit more stretch but not as much as mono. for a more natural action....Thoughts? CoPoly reccomendation?

Does your spinning rod have the same action as the casting rod you were using? A lighter spinning rod's jerk won't be as lively and jump as with a casting rod with a stiffer action. If that's the case, you can use a stiffer spinning rod or braid with flouro leader.
    Last edited by smokewagon; 01-10-2022 at 06:30 PM.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Kastking makes line?

Yep. Amazon sells.

12. Member
    I would highly reccomend using a copoly for jerks, and i would NEVER use flouro for them. IMO, a sinking line is the absolute last thing you'd want for throwing jerkbaits regardless of setup.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    I would highly reccomend using a copoly for jerks, and i would NEVER use flouro for them. IMO, a sinking line is the absolute last thing you'd want for throwing jerkbaits regardless of setup.
    I really like InVisx for jerk baits, 8 or 10 lb. test. Personally I don't like throwing them on mono or some kind of co-poly.

14. Member
    I throw braid to leader on a spinning rod. I can throw it a lot farther which imo keeps it down in the strike zone longer. With the braid I'm careful to just pop the slack or it moves to far. I only use the reel to wind up the slack.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    My 2 cents - your reeling and jerking hands are out of sync with spinning gear, and you're not moving the JB crisply enough bc you're not hitting it perfectly off slack (and maybe pulling it tad instead of stopping it dead).

When I use spinning for JBs I don't even try to reel through the jerks - just pick up slack afterwards with the handle. Some people are coordinated enough to make either setup work perfectly - I am not one of those people.
    I do this.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokewagon View Post
    Does your spinning rod have the same action as the casting rod you were using? A lighter spinning rod's jerk won't be as lively and jump as with a casting rod with a stiffer action. If that's the case, you can use a stiffer spinning rod or braid with flouro leader.
    I have gone through a few spinning rods to find the one I have. I am actually going the opposite way and trying some more moderate action tips also.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokewagon View Post
    I have gone through a few different rods.

Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    I have gone through a few different rods.
    That's a hard one to figure out since the only variable is going from casting rod/reel to spinning rod/reel. Are you using the same line and working the spinning rod with the same hand as you did with the casting rod?
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

19. Member
    I have been using the spinning rod for a few years now. So my technique is good. The question was about COPOLY and recomendations. Not other variables. I appreciate.