Active Target mounting advice

Need some help with my active target mounting issue I have. This week during three days of fishing I noticed my screw knobs on my active target mount had loosened up to the point they were about to fall off. I hand tightened them as well as I could. The next day in rough water they must have backed off again and I lost a knob while deployed.

My question is what is the best way to keep them from loosening without adding some type of loctite? Last time I used the marine loctite I broke a bolt when trying to undo it. If I add a lock washer will it keep the knob from backing off?

2. Member
    I’ve lost a knob as well. I got some extra ones from McMastercarr.com. They are 6mm. A lock washer will probably work but but I have used the “removable “ blue loctite used sparingly.
    Mark Hopper
    Jackson Tn 38301
    htbboats@aol.com

3. Member
    Did you happen to use the rubber washer that's in the small cardboard box? I didn't see anything in the instructions when I did my first AT but I've done so many Garmin's I just assumed they were setup the same.

4. Member
    I did not. Must have missed that but will a rubber washer keep it from backing off?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LainTx View Post
    I did not. Must have missed that but will a rubber washer keep it from backing off?
    Absolutely and you can adjust without loosening or tightening

6. Member
    So does it go metal washer rubber washer than knob or vice versa?

7. Member
    PXL_20220111_120915535.jpg washer, rubber washer screw in

8. Member
    Is it just me or does the picture show the rubber washer then the metal wash?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LainTx View Post
    Is it just me or does the picture show the rubber washer then the metal wash?
    It does
    I did it the way I do Garmin's and it works

Great idea. Where did you get the rubber washers from?

11. Member
    Its in the box with the trolling motor head mount haha they just don't tell you in the instructions

12. Member
    I can confirm they are included in the parts but not listed in the installation manual part list

13. Member
    Damn no wonder my knob keeps losening up! I didn't know to install that rubber washer (not in the direction manual !). I can't find the rubber washer that came in the little box. I called Lowrance and to get the rubber washer you have to buy the whole kit to the tune of $44.95....Can anyone give me dimensions so I can try to find something similar at the hardware store or online?
    Last edited by bgibson; 01-13-2022 at 04:20 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Damn no wonder my knob keeps losening up! I didn't know to install that rubber washer (not in the direction manual !). I can't find the rubber washer that came in the little box. I called Lowrance and to get the rubber washer you have to by the whole kit to the tune of $44.95....Can anyone give me dimensions so I can try to find something similar at the hardware store or online?
    Just take the metal washer off and use it to match with a rubber washer. Its approximately 3/16" thick

15. Member
    Thanks thats on my to do list before the season starts!

16. Member
    This may be of help:

ciao,
    Marc

17. Member
    Fyi, if you dont have (or can't find) the rubber washer go to a hardware store and buy toilet tank mounting washers. They are rubber and the perfect size!

18. Member
    Anyone have the thread/pitch number? Model number of bolt from McMaster Carr?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypistons View Post
    Its in the box with the trolling motor head mount haha they just don't tell you in the instructions
    I wondered what that rubber washer went to. Just this weekend I finished up installing my Ghost and ActiveTarget ....... so I guess I need to go dig out that washer b/c I threw it in my 'all things Lowrance extra's box'. LOL

Thanks Pistons!!!!!
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

20. Member
    Thank you for the help! I’ve been struggling to adjust the position while on the water for a while. Now, I can easily unscrew a little and adjust. I bought Neoprene Rubber Washer 1" OD x 1/4" ID x 3/16" Thick on an online auction site and they are perfect.