Question on type of wood for trailer fender

Going to replace the wood and carpet on my trailer fenders. If I use an epoxy to waterproof the wood should I buy treated or regular plywood? Thanks

2. Member
    I would suggest 1/4" HDPE plastic instead. Never have to worry about rot. Most decent bigger hardware outfits have sheets available in at least black or white. It's easy to work with using conventional woodworking tools too.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Canman_83 View Post
    Going to replace the wood and carpet on my trailer fenders. If I use an epoxy to waterproof the wood should I buy treated or regular plywood? Thanks
    Marine board is the only way to go. It the plastic stuff a cutting board is made of. Same tools as working with wood. When they find your trailer in a couple of thousand years, all they will be able recognize, will be the fender boards. Google marine board, there are several places on line. I would recommend 1/2"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    I would suggest 1/4" HDPE plastic instead. Never have to worry about rot. Most decent bigger hardware outfits have sheets available in at least black or white. It's easy to work with using conventional woodworking tools too.
    I will have to second the HDPE plastic. Very easy to work with and it’s already black. You will be able to glue the carpet too the side facing the boat then put stainless staples on the back side to ensure a nice wrinkle free finish. When you bolt it on or rivet the board to the fender there is no chance of them loosening up and scratching the boat like wood can do. They make it in 1/4” and 3/8” both. I’ve done many fenders for people and have yet to have a problem.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

Starboard for me and I did not put carpet back on….the starboard won’t scratch your boat.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Starboard for me and I did not put carpet back on….the starboard won’t scratch your boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    100%! It should be standard on all trailers.